DITRA for ceramic floor tiles?

Any of you guys tried laying this straight onto floorboards?

My local tile shop says all his tilers use it now instead of marine ply or concrete backer board etc. Apparently they even use it straight onto (well screwed down) floorboards.

Obvious advantage is the height savings - no step up when walking into the room. Easy to cut too.

I bought some yesterday, gonna give it a go.

here:- (not that tiling in smart white trousers seems a good idea)

blackbat

It won't make a floor level..unsound boards will crack away underneath it, though I accept the tile surface will hold up a bit longer.

The overriding impression I had from the video was 'must be in germany: No where else would the screed be so perfect, the rooms so square and the tilers so professional'

Says a lot about German apprenticeships, very little about the product as such.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is the stuff that 'Holmes on Homes' (Discovery Real Time channel - Canadian version of Tommy Walsh without the Bonhomie) uses for most of his tiling. Supposed to act as a moisture barrier as well as a tiling substrate. He uses it on top of the 3/4 plywood that he uses to make sure the floor is flat and strong enough.

It'll be interesting to get your experience feedback.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I did a bit more research, most forum feedback seems positive. My local tile shop can't speak highly enough of it. There are a couple of freephone numbers that I might ring tomorrow to see if they recommend laying straight onto floorboards.

Reply to
blackbat

If you saw the product in a shop you may wonder what it's for. I guess it gives you an idea. Not sure why you would need it on a perfect concrete floor as in the video anyway. Maybe to add flexibilty.

Reply to
blackbat