Dishwasher / Washing machine fittings

First up - apologies to those who are offended by a bodge. You should probably look away now!

I have the usual gubbins under my kitchen sink which allows me to attach a dishwasher to hot and cold feeds.

The hot tap leaks slightly and cannot be shut off entirely (at least not with confidence).

This was fine when my dishwasher was hot and cold fill, since the tap on the pipework wasn't needed, but my new machine is cold fill only.

Rather than inflict my poor plumbing skills on the world (I *will* make a mess of it if I try to replace the tap), what I'm after is some sort of 'false fitting' which I can screw on to the hot tap, but which has its own tap to stem the (minimal) flow. Does such a thing exist, or can it be made?

(The easiest thing ould be to feed the dishwasher from the hot tap, but it isn't ecstatic with this option, particularly when it comes to rinsing dishes with what it thinks is cold water.)

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The output thread on your washing-machine tap is 3/4" BSP (actual size, just over an inch in diameter). You need a threaded end-cap, with a 3/4" BSP female thread, which will screw onto the tap and seal it. It will probably need a rubber washer inside for good measure.

You should be able to get an end-cap at any half-way-decent plumbers merchant.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You've very likely got a spare hose. Cut it so you can remove the nut that screws onto the tap. Run some silicone sealer round the inside of the nut and insert a suitable sized coin. Screw onto the tap. If you haven't got a spare hose, go to a plumber's merchant and ask for a stop end to do the same thing. You might be lucky and find one in a larger shed.

BTW, this is probably defacing the Queen's coinage and likely to result in execution without trial.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Rich" contains these words:

Take the locking ring on one of the now redundant hoses and use it to clamp a 2p bit over the hole. Rubber washer goes between the coin and the water.

Reply to
Guy King

It is also contrary to the Water Regulations using an unapproved water fitting ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It'll be ok if the coin has been allowed to turn green.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Cheers for the suggestions. If end up being hanged for treason, I'll be back to haunt you all....

Reply to
Rich