Dirty water pump

I wanted to remove the worst of the sediment from our garden pond so I bought one of these dirty water pumps

(except from eBay - somewhat cheaper). The blurb says it's for footings, ditches and ponds ("not small fish ponds" so presumably OK for big ones ???). But the enclosed instructions say it must not be used with water containing sand, clay, silt or mud.

What kind of dirty water from footings, ditches or ponds *doesn't* contain sand, clay, silt or mud?

Reply to
LSR

The reason for not using in fish ponds is that the lubricants used in the pump are not safe for aquatic life, and they can't guarantee that they will not leak out.

You sure they did not flog you the clean water version instead?

You can download the screwfix instruction manual here:-

there it mentions no limitation on these materials other than ensuring the total concentration is under 5%. It does say that sand and other abrasive materials will shorten the life of the pump though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - the Screwfix documentation is worded slightly differently to the

10-language generic booklet I received and is more forgiving. I definitely have the dirty-water version.
Reply to
LSR