Dimming street lights?

I was given an old Austin 1100 many years ago. It was at the time all cars parked on the road had to have overnight lights.

In winter, the frost would grow quite deep during the colder winter months and it never failed to start the next morning.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

From which I conclude that this is no longer the case - but cue quoters from the HC.

I'm still waiting for Our Dennis to explain what he means by parking lights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the seventies, I had a Rover 3500 that had side lights. Turn the switch, to the right, from the off position and the lights would come on progressively. Turn it to the left from off and the right front and rear lights would come on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave :

All my Audis have done that. The switch is the indicator stalk.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You have to remember that every ones eyes are different. My night vision is excellent, I think it is a by product of being slightly colour blind (More receptors for white light.)

My wife, on the other hand does not like driving at night, unless all the street lights are working.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Right, so you have parking lights, as did Dave, as well as sidelights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think it's an age thing too. I'm finding as I get older that I'm more easily blinded bey people's headlights than I used to be. And bright sunlight too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Any family history of cataracts?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or vampires in the family?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not that I'm aware of, why?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I like biting young females on their hem hem necks, does that count?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because Dad used to complain about glare from headlight before he had his done ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you dislike garlic its not looking good...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No it isn't. Their job is too make sure you have the resources and skills to do your job.

Reply to
dennis

I already did, before you asked.

Reply to
dennis

You have to have a lights on both sides.

Reply to
dennis

Before cataracts fully cloud the lens they scatter the light passing through generating increased flare/glare. My Dad had a normally looking eye (he lost the other when he was in his 20's) but the cateract meant that the flare from bright sunlight almost completely obscured his vision.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My Triumphs were like that, too - one click of the switch gave me parking lights on one side only, next click was sidelights, next was headlights. I can't remember for sure, but I think that behaviour may have disappeared with the later ones, suggesting that it wasn't necessary on cars built after the mid-70s.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The lights are on but no-one is at home.

You are a expert on parking lights.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"side lights/parking lights" position indicators. there is actually no reference to side lights or parking lights, there are side position indicators but few cars have these. Other regulations state that if lights are required where you park you must have two red at the rear and two white at the front on a car. i.e. the position indicators.

Reply to
dennis