Dimmers not dim enough

I have several identical dimmer switches for low-voltage halogen down-lighting.
Where I have four or five lights/transformers controlled by a dimmer, the "dimmest" setting is much brighter than where just one light/transformer is controlled by a dimmer. A one-light circuit can be dimmed to the level of, say, a 5-watt standard bulb. A five-lights ciruit can only be dimmed to the level of, say, a 40-watt bulb.
Being a fan of atmospheric low light :-) I would like to know if I can make a dimmer reduce the light level more, in the case of the four- or five- light circuit, without compromising the brightness of the same lights when they are not dimmed.
Sunglasses?
Somebody shoot me...

Could you not Do It Yourself ?
:-)

Why do 4-5 lights give out 4-5 times more light than one light?
Adam

Each of the 4 to 5 lamps is individually brighter - not jointly brighter - than a lamp on a single-light circuit.

This may be a silly question, but... Do the dimmers have a minimum load? also can they handle a magnetic (type) load, i.e a transformer?
Just a thought.

There is a maximum load specified for these dimmers, which is 250w and which I am not exceeding on a 5-light circuit.
The supplier told me the dimmers were OK to use with transformers (which he also supplied, along with the low-voltage lights).

If the dimmers etc were recommended and supplied by the same place, I'd go back to em and start thumping on the table.
Martin wrote:

Mostly the dimmer itself is adequate.

Not especially well, no. Some allegedly do.

How is the circuit designed ? Does one dimmer control 1 lamp and transformer or does one dimmer control 4 or so transformers and lamps

Each lamp has its own transformer.
So on my 5-light circuit, one dimmer controls 5 transformers (therefore 5 lamps). When fully dimmed, each of these 5 lamps is brighter (than the single lamp on my fully dimmed 1-light circuit).
have you tried swapping the dimmer switches and seeing if this has any different results?
Wheelbarrowbob wrote:

Both.