Digital TV: Split signal from aerial?

In message , Bill Wright writes

Thread hijack

Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More

4 etc are giving me just pixellated crap

In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)

Its a newish (

Reply to
geoff

Trees? Damp in cable? Aerial damaged? Building in the way? Or see

2 is on ch 22 isn't it?

No surprise. It it's that old it will be far better quality!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

Couple of Leylandi, but not tall enough to be in the LOS

Could be, but why should it be that selective ?

Not that I cans see, also, it's windy out there today and there's very little movement

No - it's only showed this problem last year, I didn't see any major obstacles when I put it up

When I say I can get them on the old aerial, I have just thought that I'm picking ITV and CH4 up well on CH 903 and 904, they are still very pixellated on actual ch3 and 4

What I don't understand is that I get good signal with e.g. BBC1 and 2, so it can't be general signal degradation. Also, I have an amp where it enters the house (not up top).

Can multiple DVD recorders (LO interference for example) cause such problems ?

off to read your posted link ...

Old one is a POS 7 basic 7 element stick with an aluminium plate reflector, the new one is a 4 x 11 (H-section) element with 6 reflectors, a bit like this

So, if cost is less important than getting decent reception, what should I go for? (Preferably something in the CPC catalogue)

Reply to
geoff

[snip]

Mux 2 also uses a less robust transmission system and is usually the one to fail first.

[snip]
Reply to
<me9

The only time I have seen one used was at Marconi in Coventry when BBC technology came and setup an aerial to get freeview from Sutton Coldfield before it was available in Coventry. They installed a big yagi and a leveller and a mast head amp and we could just about manage to get a good image.

(Then we de-multiplexed the channels into an SDI (155MB/s IIRC) distribution system and then recoded the channels to different bit rates so we could transmit them over ADSL. There was about £1M worth of kit in my lab just for the BBC stuff before you got to the distribution side.)

Reply to
dennis