Difference between consumer unit switch rating and meter rating

I have noticed recently, that my electicity meter indicates that it is rated for 80A, but the consumer unit is rated at 100A for the incoming supply.
Is this likely to cause a problem? If so, what is the best course of action to rectify this? Would it cost a lot to get the meter replaced with a 100A version?
On 25 Jan 2004 16:01:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com (Mark) wrote:

This combination is fine. If it were the other way round then it might be an issue.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You will likely only be fused at 60A or 80A in the cutout ("cable head") which restricts the maximum load before the fuse blows to an amount the meter is capable of handling safely.
It will not cause you a problem - it simply means that the equipment you have on your side of the installation is capable of carrying more than you actually have available from your electricity company.
     snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com (Mark) writes:

IME, the suppliers routinely use meters rated lower than the main cutout (main fuse). I've had a 40A one on an 80A cutout, and in some commercial premises I think we used to have a 40A or 60A meter which the supplier decided was fine when I had the cutout uprated to 100A.
The consumer unit rating is a maximum and is irrelvent, except it should not really be lower than the main cutout.
--
Andrew Gabriel