Diesel sting

Sodium Silicate?

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull and crossbones over the profile of a car."

Reply to
Adrian C

Sugar?

George

Reply to
furnessvale

Sugar is the traditional additive for such instances, isn't it? or is that just for petrol?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presumably it would be a good idea if the vehicle made it a certain distance off the premises before expiring?

Reply to
Jim

Has farmer removed the pins from the handle so that you have to hold it on like retail filler nozzle? Or are the scroates suplying their own pins or wiring the nozzle open?

How about a lockable valve right up against the tank

Water? It'll sit in the bottom of the tank and won't run an engine. Will the scroates bother to check or notice?

A jerry can or two so of red diesel (always assuming it's not red they are knicking) might result in them getting knicked for that but it's probably a slim chance, unless you get registration numbers and can tip off the authorities.

Not sure that any solids in suspension would get past the fuel filter in large enough size/quantity to cause damage. They could clog filter of course but that is simple to change.

Something soluable, sugar has always been an old wives tale. Donno what affect that would have on a diesel engine. Of course you don't know what the scroates are doing with the fuel, using it themselves or flogging it on to so some "unsuspecting" punter, mind you if they buying cheap diesel from "a man in the pub" they deserve what they get...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wikipedia entry.

I think diesel tanks usually have a side tapping, or an upstand, to allow a space for sludge and condensed water to collect below the draw- off. Heating oil tanks storing red diesel (class D?) are certainly arranged like that.

Reply to
Onetap

I was in the pub t'other night chatting with a local farmer - seems he had a visit from a number of ne'er-do-wells who pinched a load of diesel out of the farmyard tanks. That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all the diesel in the tank runs away. If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the hose.

The daft thing is that if all they nicked was a few gallons on the quiet, no-one would be any the wiser.

Anyway, 'elf 'n safety have told him he needs a new tank as the delivery men aren't allowed to climb ladders ( to fill tanks ) and the farmer isn't allowed to operate the tanker gear ( hey ho ).

So, he's got a new tank and somewhere more secure to site it - and it occurred to a few punters in the pub that if a quantity of diesel was left in the old tank and a suitable 'additive' added to it, it might make for a nice 'gift' next time the scrotes come round for a spot of traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel Snaffing'.

Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light turbulence as the diesel drained out. All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Fill it with petrol instead of diesel.

Reply to
Bolted

Apparently not

The Medway Handyman

Now that sounds like fun!

Not that I would suggest any such thing but I recall that the "standard" thickening agent in a Molotov used to be pieces of a pair of tights. Wikipedia differs and says: "Thickening agents such as tar, strips of tire tubing, sugar, animal blood, XPS foam, egg whites, motor oil, rubber cement, and dish soap have been added to help the burning liquid adhere to the target and create clouds of thick choking smoke."

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Far too obvious.

Reply to
Clive George

If he's not going to use that tank again, a couple of landmines buried around the nozzle area would do, I'd think.

Reply to
Jules
8><

Milk shake syrup (not chocolate), custard powder, bleach.

Reply to
Lino expert

Hooooo, yes. the last thing you want is a bunch of hacked-off scroates (though there's an idea ...) with no transport wandering around an otherwise deserted farmhouse. I did see an episode of Mythbusters where they were trying various ways to kill a car. ISTR they added bleach to the oil. The engine ran for some time until it died a death. I don't know what effect it would have in diesel. Anyone?

Reply to
pete

Tony Martin for Prime Minister!

Reply to
cynic

Something that doesn't do any damage but stinks. Then you can find out who has the fuel. As it is not tax paid you can then inform C&E and they have the power to confiscate the vehicle and they will given the chance. Red diesel is perfumed if you noticed, I can tell a car burning red as it drives past, the same goes for paraffin in the diesel tank.

Maybe a metacaptainate (sp?) of some sort.

Reply to
dennis

Wire the tank up the mains electric?

Wavey Dave