DG Sealed unit replacement

Hi all

The outside pane of glass in one of our fanlight windows has cracked. Once the weather improves I 'm planning to take the whole window to a local double glazing place and get them to take out the sealed unit to repair/replace. Never having doen this before, how much should I be looking at paying, the glass is 55 x 41 cm with a couple of georgian bar strips in it. (I live in Surrey)

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Don't know about the cost but is the window frame UPVC? If so the glass comes out independantly to the frame. Unclip the beading and remove the glass. If you don't want to do this yourselves have a look in your phone book / Yellow pages for a "Window Doctor" / "Window Medic" type of company.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Around £50-75 for the glass. I doubt you'll get the frame out easily, and not with the glass in-situ, though do you mean it is an opening window, and you are taking all of the opening bit out? It'd be easier to just remove the glass.They can be a bit stiff to get out sometimes, but it is usually possible without breaking anything. Alan

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, It's an opening window and I was looking at taking the frame and glass out by unscrewing it from the hinge, only appears to be 6 screws holding the unit in place. I've had a look through the forum and thought this would be easier than tackling the beading myself.

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Fair enough then, if that's the case. It can certainly be a right sod to get the beading out; I can vividly remember the first time I ever had to do it! For a one-off you're as well to let the glazier do it.

Having said that - thinking further, if you do it that way, you'll probably be without a window for a few days, whereas if you can get the beading off yourself you can then measure the dimensions of the sealed unit, including the thickness (pretty well impossible to do with the beads in situ) and then order up the replacement - then you don't have to remove the window until you've got the new unit in your hands.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I doubt it, they'll understand the need for speed and can do it very quickly.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For a 900 x 500 with georgian bar I was quoted £22.00 supply only

Reply to
ALex

Last time I had a sealed unit replaced, the glazier came out & measured up. After making the unit they came back & fitted it, taking the old one away. All included in the price.

Meant I wasn't without a window at all.

HTH

Dom.

Reply to