Dehumidifier pump?

Is it possible to buy in the UK either a dehumidifier with a built-in water pump or an automatic pump to add to a dehumidifier tank (so that I don't have to empty the tank every day)?

Reply to
Adam Funk

built-in

Mine has the provision to pull the hose out of the tank and direct it elsewhere. I have it plumbed via a trap to an outside drain. No doubt something similar could be incorporated into yours with a bit of ingenuity.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Have a search for condensate pumps, used to remove the condensation from AC drain pans where gravity drainage isn't practical. Thousands are used in office AC units. You'd probably need to drill the existing tank to add float switches (high level-ON, low level -OFF). You'd need a self-priming pump (diaphragm probably) if you want it to suck water out of the tank.

Reply to
Aidan

Unfortunately the dehumidifier is below ground level!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Coincidentally, I've just been looking at this.

Several on line places have Grundfos pumps but these are about £100.

Among the reasonable ones, the best price/spec I've found so far is a Sauermann SI 1820 at £48 from BES

part 17080.

This one also has auxiliary contacts and can turn off power to something if the reservoir fills and is not emptied for whatever reason

- e,g, blockage.

There are peristaltic pumps for refrigeration and air conditioning but these work with a cam squashing a tube and eventually the (silicone) tube splits. I used one of these in an aquarium dosing application in the past but would use it in this application.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Maybe one of the S*n*f*o units would be appropriate.

I think I'd use a big plastic dustbin as a sump tank and arrange a submersible pump with a floatswitch (which are fairly cheap) on a timeswitch (which are also fairly cheap) to empty it once a day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A Sanicondens pump would appear to be designed for this purpose, if you can contrive a method of connecting into your existing tank.

The cheapest I've seen them is 72 quid from

Look away when using the website, at least on Firefox.

"SANICONDENS is specifically designed for disposing of the acidic condensate from condensing boilers and equally can be used in conjunction with other water producing equipment such as air conditioners, dehumidifiers and so on."

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But perhaps a pump for boiler condensate is OTT? I'd either go for a submersible (which could then be borrowed for other uses) or perhaps a 12V caravan / boat pump to avoid volts at the wet end?

Reply to
Newshound

Cheapest on this page is £38

Newshound

Adam Funk formulated on Wednesday :

A small automatic pump, as used for air conditioning condensate pumps would do the job admirably. You simply feed to drain into the pump and run the outlet pipe to where ever you need it to go.

The pump runs when ever water is detected, either (depending on model) by detecting conduction through the water or using a magnetic float switch - both built into the pump.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can get a number of air con units that have the ability to eject the captured water in the waste hot air stream (they use the condensed water for additional cooling of the "hot" side fo the heat exchanger thus causing it to vapourise). Other than that it is a case of modifying to fit a drain hose, or adding a pump if you need to lose the water up hill!

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't say so. It is, in fact, specifically designed for the purpose. After all, it is condensate that is requiring pumping. A dehumidifier probably produces more condensate than a boiler.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Javascript on.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I doubt dehunidifier condensate is acidic, like boiler condensate. That's why a pump designed for boiler condensate (resistant to the scid) is OTT for this application.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The fact that the dehumidifier condensate is less acidic is hardly a problem for the pump, which is cheap and has all the gubbins required (holding tank, automatic operation etc.) Getting a cheap submersible is all very well, but it would need float switches etc. and is far more effort.

The Saniflo website description also shows that it is specifically suitable for dehumidifier operation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

| |Christian McArdle wrote: |> > But perhaps a pump for boiler condensate is OTT? I'd either go for a |> > submersible (which could then be borrowed for other uses) or perhaps a 12V |> > caravan / boat pump to avoid volts at the wet end? |>

|> I wouldn't say so. It is, in fact, specifically designed for the purpose. |> After all, it is condensate that is requiring pumping. A dehumidifier |> probably produces more condensate than a boiler. |>

| |I doubt dehunidifier condensate is acidic, like boiler condensate. |That's why a pump designed for boiler condensate (resistant to the |scid) is OTT for this application.

Dehumidifier condensate is basically distilled water, possibly contaminated with gunge from a rarely serviced bit of domestic equipment.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Not really relevant.

Boiler condensate pumps have a collection vessel, pump, float to operate the pump and a second float to turn off anything you want if the vessel fills and isn't emptied.

Since all this lot is available as a ready to go package at around £40, it's pointless to mess around with submersible pumps and all the rest of it. Additional switches would need to be found as well as the bits. I rather doubt that there would be any saving in cost and certainly a lot of extra titting around.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And dust and any household chemicals that happen to condense. I've heard that dehumidifier condensate should *not* be used to water plants, for example.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Now where have those lines being used before? SANIFLO is specifically designed for disposing of.....

:)

Reply to
Matt

Have you thought of opening the windows a bit then you won't need a dehumidifier? And fresh air is good for you.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom