Decking treatments

Having just read an earlier post about building a deck,I realised that it's time I did something about mine. It's 3 or 4 years since I built it, so it's looking a bit weathered now.

At risk of getting a bunch of replies telling me to burn it and build a patio, what's the best treatment? My brother has treated his decking with a few things, most of which seem to peel off in short order. My understanding (which I told him but he wouldn't listen) was that treating new decking is a bad idea, which was why I left mine (good excuse huh?).

I don't really want any fancy-pancy finish, just a freshen up: If it looked like it does when I have just pressure washed it, that would be just fine. Any useful advice gratefully received.

Reply to
GMM

Clean it & apply Decking Oil. It soaks into the wood rather than forming a surface coating that peels off later. Stops any splintering etc.

Dead easy to apply, dead easy to re apply in the future.

I'd never use anything else.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Out of interest, what is in Decking Oil?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I'm not actually sure TBH, but I believe is a relative of tung oil - in other words it hardens on exposure to air. I believe ut contains resins.

I base my comments on experience not knowledge.

I'd love to know what exactly was in it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Either tung or linseed I would think. AFAIK they are the only "drying oils", but both go yellow/orange over time. Not usually an issue with decking though

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks Dave: It seems that an oil would be better than a surface treatment - I just got back from my brother's (hence not seeing your response til tonight) and his treatment, on a deck he only built last year is in a terrible state, scuffed off everywhere that anyone walks.

Mine always looks good when i have just washed it and if oil can keep it like that, instead of going grey, it will do the job as far as I'm concerned.

Now I just need a couple of consecutive dry days when I have time.......

Reply to
GMM

There are more (such as walnut oil), but tung and linseed are the main ones used in such products... unless they have been replaced by alkyds.

tung oil can be thinned (to get better penetration) with turps. This also helps (speeds) the drying process. Although tung oil is supposed to create a waterproof finish, I've not used it in such a context.

Wood exposed to the weather will still go grey though.

Reply to
Andy Webber

Unless used in project featured on Grand Designs, in which case, it will go "a beautiful silver".

Reply to
Andy Burns

I painted some WBP with a Ronseal preservative three years ago. Its in full sun and hasn't gone grey yet. The modern stuff has dyes which age very well. The water repellent still works but I expect I will recoat it later on in the summer.

Reply to
dennis

Either way it beats the hell out of artificial colours

Reply to
stuart noble

Clear decking oil does prevent the greying for quite a while, I gues it must have UV filters?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman