Decisions, decisions

We are intending to put a rectangular mirror on a bedroom wall. The obvious place is on the chimney breast. However there is a small old fireplace still in situ, (unused) which is not positioned centrallly, due to the flue from downstairs passing it. I was intending to put the mirror central to the chimney breast, but it has been suggested it would look better in line with the fire surround. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Tahiri

What looks right to you. Since you say 'we' - more likely what looks right to your wife. Don't hope for help here if she gives you grief because you disagree.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cut a piece of cardboard or paper (newspaper works for this) to the size of your mirror; move it around until you or your other half approves. Tape it in place, go away for a while, see if you still like it when you return. Once you're sure, mark the corners (lightly, in chalk or pencil), then hang the mirror.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Widen the fireplace visually with a small table / picture / vase of twigs on the floor / something adjacent to it in the empty space where the downstairs flue passes.

Something horizontal over the fireplace and 'thing' - whether a landscape mirror, picture, narrow shelf, decorative sword or javelin, whavever, will tie the two together. You can then put the mirror centrally on the chimney breast above it.

Or put the mirror above the fire surround and then put a tall vertical thing in the gap to the side of both mirror and fire.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ours is like that. Just went to have a look. We have the mirror over the fi replace but it never looks quite right wherever you put it. I think the bes t idea would be to hide the wider side with something tall like some tall g rasses in a tall vase. Or maybe a coal scuttle and some very long implement s. Oh wait, hang the bed pan there ... what do you mean you don't use bed pan ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You probably mean a bed *warming* pan?

Reply to
newshound

Hang it wherever SWMBO wants it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tape it in place, go away for a while, see if she still likes it when you return. Once you're sure, mark the corners in indelible ink and get her to sign and date them. Photograph it with a witness.

There, I corrected it for you. :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

An oval mirror might work

Reply to
stuart noble

I am sure that in one episode of Fawlty Towers Basil closes his eyes when Sybil is telling him where to fit a picture.

Reply to
ARW

On reflection you are probably right. Hides behind sofa.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thank you all. I like the idea of adding something else to diguise the problem. I will experiment.

(Just for the record - I am 'swmbo', but himself is away at present!)

Reply to
Tahiri

And be prepared to be declared wrong.

Reply to
bert

In message , Tahiri writes

YKWTS Best way to hide something is to make it stand out.

Reply to
bert

He tried that, but still got done for indecent exposure ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LOL

Reply to
bert

It looks like you're thinking about elephants.

Reply to
Johny B Good

He said "stand _out_" not "stand _up_" :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

Tell her she wants a free standing tiltable mirror so that she can admire herself from all angles before going out.

Reply to
Capitol