Decent RJ45 wallplates?

Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all, has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Adrian C writes

I've always used Euromod faceplates and modules, modules fit from the front[1] so no popping off the back, 2 per single plate, 4 per double.

My local supplier has just gone bust so don't know where is best but CPC do them too although the range looks lighter than I'm used to (branded Molex but Euromod is buried deep in the further description. If they don't make a purpose made module then I've drilled a blank for connectors then used that, works well. RS do them too.

[1] Can be pushed through from the back at an angle to get clearance then clipped in place at front so each module can be wired separately then placed if that is what you want.
Reply to
fred

I used modular MK ones throughout my build ... quality is very good. The modular system allowed me to mix RJ45 and F-type For latter I used blanking plates and drilled hole for F-Type bulkhead fittings

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room. I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

Dave Plowman (News)

I usually use euromod style ones that fit from the front - so if they do dislodge they tend to pull out rather than drop in IYSWIM.

These were solwise ones I think:

to have a couple of years so far without any problems.

I used some triax euromod from CPC as well - they seemed good as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ive got some fancy brass ones somewhere..bags to choose from.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The best I've uses are made by Systimax, but they don't seem to be generally available to the public. They are used by many of the high-end ^H^H^H cost pro installers in big corporate installs.

The best source for them is, er, 'leftovers' during an office fit-out.

If you can't stumble upon any this way yourself, then e-bay often has such 'leftovers' being flogged by the installer employees themselves.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

I got 5 dual Cat6 faceplates from kenable.co.uk for 14 quid delivered and they are fine.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Brand-Rex stuff is top-notch IMO.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Why's that?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I generally use screwfix's offerings. Never had any bother with them. Don't know if they do fancy brass though.

Reply to
Mike Scott

Metal plate or plastic? And do you apply the same standards to other fittings like sockets?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Taste? Same as having all the sockets and switches matching in that room?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:)

Hmmm....

(Thanks all)

The issue I've got is pictured here. The module closest to ya doesn't clip securely, it merely wobbles and falls off.

in one case I had to resort to faceplace vandalism like so ...

.. to release a stuck plug's clip, as access to release the screws and pull it out was restricted then by furniture.

Popping keystone modules has happened to me a few times, worse when in office moves where me is ungainly employed to rapidly move many PC workstations; and I'm scrabbling in floor boxes, sometimes in the dark, trying not to get electrocuted at the same time due to really mad wiring by some installers - and also users.

Came across one user (in Accounts) that thought it OK to use a 13A plug without a fitted top cover(!) in his floor box. I now carry a torch with me ....

Reply to
Adrian C

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

For that price, plastic, and I omitted to mention that included surface mounting boxes. I've fitted all five and they all work. The keystones go in the front, so it's not possible to push them in as happened to the OP.

I should mention here that I've been installing network kit for years and have used a wide variety of quality of kit. These faceplates are not the very best quality, but they are perfectly acceptable.

Er, no. That's mains. MK all the way.

If you're anal enough to want to spunk 9 quid each on pretty RJ45 outlets to match your existing fittings, hey, it's your money. I don't care.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So you like surface mount too? ;-)

If you're installing things professionally, doesn't the architect or designer specify what makes to use?

Mains stuff has to comply with a BS - and is likely to be satisfactory regardless of make. How good it looks is a different matter. And, of course, down to individual taste.

My view is that sockets etc are going to be there for a very long time, so I'd rather have ones that look as good as possible too. But then I'm not doing it for maximum profit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Nah, this is in my home. Sunk 'em. The boxes I've kept in case they come in useful.

If you're installing things professionally, doesn't the architect or

Almost all retrofit jobs in existing premises. Where the network wiring is done on new build the electrical contractor gets the job (or subcontracts it.)

Mains sockets, yes.

After the last twenty years we still have the same 13A mains sockets.

But in that same time we've gone from coax to Cat 3 to Cat 5 to Cat 5e to Cat 6. You've just spent a lot of money on a network infrastructure that isn't going to be able to handle 10GigE when that becomes mainstream (RSN), at which point your pretty faceplates will be so much scrap.

Fitting faceplates in my home is profitable?

I fitted five for 14 quid. You spent 45 quid on much the same thing. That's a difference of thirty-one quid to spend on the finer things in life, such as beer.

Each to his own. :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson