Death through dodgy wiring

I'm inclined to agree. If I'm fixing to a solid wall, I'll drill deep enough to get a solid fixing - and certainly deeper than 2 inches. If the cable was buried 50mm then just plastered over, I'd *still* drill through it before hitting brick with this principle.

Yup. To me, the only real protection would be proper conduit. But best not to go outside the recommended runs. It's almost impossible to find a situation where you'd be *forced* to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've not attended an SD1 club meeting, then? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have not had time to get the new edition, but can you tell me if it contains information on mini roundabouts that have a very physical middle and then have a large red coloured tarmac outer, with a white line around it?

Reason I ask, is that when coloured tarmac came into being on our roads, I stopped a traffic cop and asked what was the significance of the colour (At that time, there was no mention of it in the highway code, like there isn't in my last copy). Locally, it had been used in the middle of the road, approaching roundabouts etc. His answer was, roughly from memory, 'it's to hi-light road markings' :-)

Are you saying that it is not revised each year then? I thought it was, that is why I try to keep up to speed with it.

I don't need to answer that, see above :-) Circa mid 1960's

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's only because the elderly can't remember having the accident when they renew their insurance ;)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

And expensive?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

No, I don't think there's anything about red tarmac.

I've listed te changes at

Richard Porter

Hi,

Anyone know whether/how PAT/insulation testing can be done with double insulated appliances?

I'd have thought an RCD will prevent these, such as the one being discussed.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I asked about this, as there is a roundabout quite close to me as I described. A central raised portion surrounded by a circle of red tarmac, surrounding this is a single white line. I have been told that the police have been issuing summonses to drivers crossing the white line.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You've answered your own question with those last 2 words. It's crossing the white line that's the problem, not the colour of the tarmac behind it.

Reply to
James Hart

Tell me you don't still have that woolly mammoth ...

Reply to
raden

We had a bit of a debate in the local rag when the highways crew built a new roundabout at a crossroads and the actual roundabout was relatively small with a hatched area around it surrounded by a white line with a vehicle "lane" outside of that. It just appeared and local drivers were bemused by it, most simply driving around the island and over the inner hatched circle. Eventually after some discussion with the local traffic cops who were as bemused as anyone else the powers that be deigned to issue an edict that cars and shorter vehicles must keep outside the solid white line surrounding the hatched area but long vehicles "may" be allowed to trail their rear wheels over the hatching. It seems to work for locals now but strangers still short cut over the hatched area. Sheer bloody stupidity if you ask me!

Reply to
John

Works for me 33/35 with about 30 mins of the allocated time left. One question I hadn't a clue on. Stopping distance on ice is X longer... The only thing I can remember about stopping distances is that you travel the same number of feet as your mph in the time it take you to think and "Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule". Trams had me guessing as well...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You are indeed.

a search on condiut. IIRC $28 + tax say 6.5% for 100@ of 1/2in. I seem to recall that you are only allowed a maximum of 6' of unconduited cable in say light fittings. Wall boxes are normally flexibly conduited to the box.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Think the idea is to indicate you can't cross the central part, but must go round it - unless driving a vehicle of such a size as to make this impossible. And it always has been an offence not to go round the central part. Not that many care. Bit the same as mobile phones. It's one thing making a 'law' but another to actually enforce it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh heh. It will carry a front door with the hatch closed. My other newer car near nothing, DIY wise.

It may be a bit of a mammoth, but not woolly. It has the 190 bhp EFI engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A single unbroken white line marks the edge of the carriageway. Red tarmac is used to show that bit of road is different, like cycle paths and such - its meaning is determined by the adjacent markings.

"Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right. If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so. If the area is marked with diagonal stripes and bordered by solid white lines, you should not enter it except in an emergency. If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency."

Reply to
Rob Morley

Talking about stupid design, there are several mini roundabouts near me that have recently been rebuilt with the central tarmac dome so far off center that it takes a lot of effort and full lock steering to get a car round it, let alone a truck.

I've seen a lot of people just drive the other side of the dome if nothing is coming the other way (they don't have to steer at all if they do that)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The HC states that "All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so" (RTA

1988). In the case of painted circles this is completely daft. If there is no other traffic around there is no advantage in deviating from a straight- through line, particularly if the circle is offset to the left. On the other hand I've seen drivers driving the wrong way round a mini roundabout when turning right which is asking for trouble.
Reply to
Richard Porter

At some (not so) mini roundabouts that is what you have to do. Thinking of the "magic roundabouts" near Swindon and Hemelhempstead. Wonderful creations, spagehti junction is easier to navigate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are plenty of other mini roundabouts at what used to be ordinary T-junctions in Hemel Hempstead, where it is impossible to turn right in one go without going over or crossing to the wrong side of the "roundabout", but the "Magic Roundabout" certainly isn't one of them. It is perfectly feasible to keep to the correct side of each and every mini roundabout in the system when negotiating it.

Reply to
Philip Stokes