Cutting stainless steel sheet

Hi,

I want to put a stainless steel sheet splash-back around the oven hob because it is 1 cm closer to the wall than recommended. My thinking is the steel will reflect any heat back to the hob.

The Ikea Udden stainless steel splash-back is selling for =A315 and will be just the job. However, I need the splash-back cut into two lengths. Does anyone know of a metal work place in North London or Herts that will do the cuts?

Clive

Reply to
Clive

I want to put a stainless steel sheet splash-back around the oven hob because it is 1 cm closer to the wall than recommended. My thinking is the steel will reflect any heat back to the hob.

The Ikea Udden stainless steel splash-back is selling for £15 and will be just the job. However, I need the splash-back cut into two lengths. Does anyone know of a metal work place in North London or Herts that will do the cuts?

Clive

Look for "Sheet Metal Workers" in your local yellow pages, any of them will be able to cut it for you.

Micky

Reply to
Micky

In message , Micky writes

Just a little anecdote....

I'm in the North West. Last year I bought a nice sheet of 1/4" stainless from a scrappy after a very hairy climb through his stainless pile. It was to make 6 mountings for stanchions on a boat. These mountings had to be fairly precise and.be bent to templates, rather than at right angles.

I looked in yellow pages and did a tour of, I think, 5 places before I found the wonderful place that would cut bend and drill it to my needs. Others just looked and shook their heads. The last 'other' was a posh place with a receptionist behind a desk. She asked the boss who knew of the good back street, hidden competent people.

The competent ones weren't in any directories I looked at and seemed to be doing well purely by word of mouth.

Reply to
Bill

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence!

The more competent ones don't need to advertise & usually they charge far less than the incompetent ones do. The only problem usually is how long you have to wait before they can fit your job in ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Don