What's the best way? Saw? Knife? Score and snap? Never worked with the stuff before....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Treat it like glass i.e. score carefully and firmly, once, using a straight edge along the desired cut. Place on a flat surface with something straight and about 3-5mm high, under the score. Whilst holding the perspex one one side so it doesn't move, apply firm downward pressure to the other side. It should snap along the score line. I have had to do this many times and with long pieces (e.g. more than 1m cuts, you carefully 'walk' the snap up the score.
Best of luck.

straight
under
you can also cut it with a fine jigsaw if you go slowly (or it will melt)
polycarbonate is much easier to work with & won't shatter

I usually saw it, although I think you can score and snap. It's a super material to work with - just be careful not to melt it with friction when drilling or cutting. You can, in general, treat it like metal as far as machineing operations are concerned.
If you need to polish the edges, treat it like cellulose paint on a car - sand with wet or dry used wet and then polish with Brasso.
Chloroform is an excellent solvent.
--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman wrote:

Which is not very easy to get hold of these days.
--
Grunff

Thanks, everyone. Excellent! It was (inter alia) the melting while sawing I was worried about.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Have a look down this page : http://www.sdplastics.com/polycast.html for some expert advice.