Cutting only plywood stuck on chipboard

I am putting in a larger offset shower tray. Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening the chipboard. Any idea how? Circular saw will not follow bend of offset. Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate. Stanley knife is not tough enough.

I am reluctant to build the new tray higher and go on top because that would mean a lot more tiling and the tiles are old and no longer available.

TIA for any ideas.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Hard to follow what the problem is without a piccy, but sounds like you need to attach a batten and either follow it with a smallish router set to the correct depth to just get through the ply but not the chip - or get hold of a fein multimaster (or bosch equivalent) and follow a similar procedure.

The multimaster is the tool that will get anywhere, though a router will giv you a better finish.

Or, with skill and patience, hand chisel it.

Reply to
dom

Angle-grinder?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

They will cut wood, not very well, but handy occasionally. They burn it a lot though, might not be too good for the vinyl. You need to keep a separate disc for wood cutting, it makes a mess of the disc.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I just remembered I once bought a tool called a biscuit cutter, that cuts to a specified depth. It will go places a circular saw will not, but still has some limitations.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In article , Invisible Man writes

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Reply to
fred

No fun using an angle grinder if it's actually going to do the job!

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I will go.

2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset shower tray.
Reply to
Invisible Man

You just need a 1m x 0.8m chisel....

NT :)

Reply to
meow2222

You could do the straight bits with the circular saw...

Reply to
John Rumm

... with a 550mm radius bend

Reply to
Invisible Man

Probably will but with a 550mm radius on the corner there is a lot of corner.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I thought I'd set you a challenge ;-)

You could probably rough it out quite quickly, leaving a few mm which you could go back over to get it really tidy..

Reply to
fred