Cut joists?

Hello All
Funny how little surprises lay in wait until you've got the floorboards up (floorboards need replacing too, another surprise)
During the last refit of our bathroom (ground, suspended floor), in order to fit the waste pipes the installer notched the 4"x2" joists to house them. He left less than an INCH of wood! But it's ok, because he wedged a few bits of plank underneath the notch to make it all right again. Straight onto dry earth floor, but I'm not /that/ impressed with this and want to make it better.
----- o ----- \_/ Joist ------------- : : _____:_:_____ Floor
Noggin
Is there any reason why I can't put a sub-joist underneath to support it? Kinda like:
----- o ----- \_/ Joist ------------- |_______| ___::___::___ Floor
Noggin
With some DPM between the :: bricks and the subjoist |_|
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:04:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

It's quite common practice to stack a pile of unmortared bricks under the ends of broken joists.
sPoNiX
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (S P O N I X) wrote:
Hello S

I'm panicking, gotya. :)
Still not impressed with a single bit of 3x2" positioned vertically with no DPC, though.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

I can't understand why you would want to. Why not just treat it as two joists, with bricks and DPM but no subjoist?
Hello Nick

I can't understand it either, and I think I'll do as you suggest - though maybe with a thin joistette to take up the space.
Best to honeycomb the bricks, yes? And no real point mortaring them in?
Thanks.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK