Curious idea re extending out under a window...

Consider two appliances in front of a wide window.

- Replace the 255mm double-brick wall under the window with a lintel.

- Extend by epoxy-needle the raft-overhang from 0.27m for a new wall.

So creating a "box-bay" with 1.3x0.40m internal space. The appliances sit flush with the lintel on the inside.

Whilst it may be a curious idea under Permitted Development, the real cost would be BR re foundations (existing raft toothpaste clay), wall construction, insulation, micro roof & insulation etc. Such a cost that it would be pointless compared to building a more conventional extension.

I am certain I have seen it done, except by bolting to the wall so nothing touched the ground. Was that how they got around past regulations by creating essentially a "wall mounted cupboard"?

Reply to
js.b1

Might not be a bad idea for people with little galley kitchens.

NT

Reply to
NT

If its directly under a wide window, one could omit the lintel.

NT

Reply to
NT

It might look a bit odd from outside.

Reply to
82045

Actually, I recall when young something similar done to nearby houses.

The kitchen is a lean-to, the roof sweeps down to the top of the window at 5ft above slab. The outside wall (2.7m wide) stepped out on some houses, with stacked victorian edgings to sweep it back to the window line under the window cill. Inside a fridge & freezer sat in an alcove. That "alcove" was formed by the wall stepped back. My eye line was the height of the fridge.

So the "alcove" gained 25cm from removing the wall, plus another 22cm from the step out, with no doubt just an uninsulated single brick wall as the new exterior for roughly 70% of the exterior width.

I do know that house later got a "2ft extension" involving a flat roof extending out from the sloping roof. It does make me wonder if at slab pour they had extra poured and covered over :-) I know at the time one other house quietly rebuilt the lean-to kitchen outside walls to provide a cavity as the slab extended out far enough. It was obvious because (!) the living room window had a brick overhanging the frame as a result, which got fixed by double glazing soon after.

All this was pre 1984... what weird histories... I also recall a local oik council house with the blue painted gas meter having its dials facing the wall when I played there, and the gas board man having a fit when I asked him "how do you read the meter then"?

Reply to
js.b1

It would, no intention of doing it, just in the night I recall replaying an image I saw as a child elsewhere in my mind. No idea what age I was, but my eyes were below the height of a fridge.

Box bays do make a big difference on interior space, especially the older timber framed houses.

Reply to
js.b1

Hong Kongers do it all the time. Bloody dodgy-looking.

Reply to
grimly4

particular bit of wriggly tin you called home, or did you live in the posh part of town with walls?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of - a complete living room/kitchen extension in mid-air

grimly4

http://g.co/maps/zrbdv (google streetview)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nooo!!!!

If I've got my bearings right, follow the diagonal from the top lefthand corner down 1/4 of the way and move slightly upwards. I believe that's where I lived.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

> Nice view :)

My Hero - 5.01 - The Foresight Saga (1/3)

Adrian C

I can't get a URL link to it, but go to

Accept, do a Place Name/Address search for Chuen Yuen Road East, select the second page of results, select Chuen Yuen Road East 30A, select Statutory Plan, turn Planning Permission On, turn Statutory Plan Off, refresh map --- that's where I used to live!

A concrete box about 15ft by 12ft on top of another slightly larger concrete box, accessed via a flight of steps up the side of the building, with a balcony that was built out over the downstairs' outside yard.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes snip

which backed onto the river bank. They had a cantilevered extension overhanging the river. The extension housed the toilet.....

-locals reckoned that the trout in the river weren't as large after they connected the toilets to the drains.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Fuck, The Tron! Many a night spent in there.

Reply to
grimly4