Crumbling plasterboard round halogen downlighter

hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and curved into place ....

Reply to
Jethro

Jethro wibbled on Monday 01 March 2010 10:20

Paint the edge with PVA?

Reply to
Tim Watts

*If* you can get to the other side of the hole, you could fit a piece of some sort of heat resistant material such as formica above the hole, with a fresh hole cut into that.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hmmm, like a washer ? No problem to get to the under (top) side ... I wonder where to buy formica ...

Reply to
Jethro

Cut a giant washer from thickish but flexible plastic (look for inspiration in the binder dept of a stationery shop) Pop it up through the hole and glue it down with gripfill.

Reply to
Vortex4

remove anything crumbling, apply pva to strengthen whats there, and plaster or filler to make up whats lost. Result good as new, and only takes a few minutes.

NT

Reply to
NT

I fixed a similar problem by "no more nailing" some worktop edging strip to the circumference of the hole. A full loop is all that was required.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

He only said " such as Formica" ...all sorts could be used Hardboard,Plastic ,etc I'm sure you'll have something suitable around the house .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

replying to Jethro, SBandME wrote: You need a C-FIX for this. This will repair and reinforce your plasterboard hole and you don't need access to the ceiling, can be fitted from below.

order direct from them - quick service and product works.

Reply to
SBandME

Tell me dear user, how is it that I can easily deduce the original post was made on . posted on March 1, 2010, 10:20 am by simply opening the link on the post, but people with perfect sight seem unable to deduce this morsel of important information?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Surely you mean "from us"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Presumably because they are not so much interested in solving the OP's problem, as spamming their web site details anywhere they think there is a slightly plausible "hook".

Reply to
John Rumm

A product with no use, since a brush of PVA round a crumbling hole fixes it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Surely this is counter productive though, would you trust a company who had to resort to spamming outdated threads in newsgroups, come on, its a bit like the bloke in the pub selling off dodgy toasters. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe it makes the stuff edible? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I guess his hope is that it might help search engines spot the web site

- its black hat SEO / link spamming basically.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try also Plaster-in liners from Downlightmagic.com - 2 or 10-pack via Amazon or e-bay

Reply to
Dlight25

I did it with a cardbord strip and lots of PVA.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan