Cracked outer double glazing pane

Just returned home to find the outer pane of a double glazed window damaged by what appears to have been a catapult or air rifle. (*&^%&$^!!)
There is a small impact hole and shards of glass have broken away from the inner surface of the glass leaving an unsightly jagged crater on the inner surface of the outer pane. There is also a crack running across the pane but fortunately this is near the top.
I'll have to get a replacement eventually, but is there anything I can do in the short term? I will at least have to cover the hole somehow to avoid rain getting into the gap.
The pane still seems to be secure, so I was wondering if there is some sort of sealant I could use to fill the hole which is the same refractive index as glass and would make it effectively invisible? As there is a jagged crater on the inner surface I guess I would have to figure out some way of applying the filler through the hole onto the inner surface - but this sounds like it might be a bit impractical.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Steve
Kids, age 5 and 2, drew pictures on our cream bedroom carpet with SWMBO's lipstick and foundation cream. Only 11 months old so claimed 400 on insurance, premiums went up from 14 an month to 21 a month at next renewal.
Cheers Jonathan
They paid the excess out of there savings kitty 50 each.

It's the increased premium I'm worried about. After several years of not having to make any claims at all, the last few months I have had to claim on a wrecked digital camera and a repair to the back door (attempted break-in). I am loath to make a third claim so soon after the previous.
If I can "bodge" it for 3-4 months and make a claim after the renewal date then it might be slightly better.
Any suggestions what sealing material I could use on the glass (if I decided to go down this route)?
"Jonathan@Home" wrote:

Erm, if that's true, it seems extremely harsh and pointless to fine a 2 year old child 50 for that, and almost so much so for a 5 year old.
Oh, by coincidence, my 18-monther has scribbled all over the pine kitchen cupboard doors, in pencil. Any ideas how best to get this off? Rubber? Doesn't look as if the timber is much if at all indented.
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

... and having a cream carpet in a house w/ young kids :-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler

Whaydda wanna get it of for. Its your child expressing him/herself!. How un-thoughtful:-((.
Never know he/she might be a great artist one day then just think how much that'll be wroth!...
--
Tony Sayer