"Council" Tip policy?

Page 4 of 6
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:12:08 -0000, "Owain"

Different bunch of people. I was in my youth then as well, and that does make a bit of a difference.
PoP
PoP wrote:

I've got quite a few here, Dave Sager in my dept, and lord knows how many in microelectronics...
Niel.
Alan wrote:

Oh, they will make those cul-de-sacs and put up chicanes, speed humps and the like next.
They have done that in cambridge, resulting in a town I simply don't want to go anywhere near. I used to spebnd a few thousand quid a year in Cambridge shops. Not any more.

I used to live in Cherry Hinton, where they put all sorts of rubbish in the road and called it traffic calming. Just made it more of a challenge for the local tearaways to get through at 60
On 30 Nov 2003 18:48:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

I said that was before Labour got their hands on it. It's nearly 1100 now.
MJ
snipped-for-privacy@MJ.com writes:

Ditto. I anticipate it being over 2K.

Anticipate? I should be so lucky.
Of course I do have the pleasure of paying for all those facilities that I can't use and the courses that I can never attend. And I luxuriate in paying the wages of the mindless jobsworths in planning.
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) writes:

YMYA.

It appears so. Mind you we do have one street light in the village - only for about three miles in any direction so I reckon my 2.3K per annum is paying for something. Even if I don't want it.
I pay the entire Parish Council budget myself each year with a few quid over for a tip. So what of the other 200 ish dollops of council tax I wonder?
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) writes:

It's all `me, me, me, me' with you, isn't it?
--
SAm.

snipped-for-privacy@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson) writes:

Well, it would be nice to get the lane gritted and the potholes filled in occasionally.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:51:51 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson) wrote:

I see nothing wrong in complaining about excessive council tax. Here is a brief summary of the increases where I live over the past few years:
Council tax in 1994 was 409. By 2001 it had risen to 659.
1995 brought an increase of 5.6%. In 1996 it was 6.7% In 1997 the increase was 6.5% 1998 saw a staggering 9% jump In 1999 only slightly less shocking at 8.9%. In 2000 it was 6.7% In 2001 5.7%
This year the increase was around 13%
But look at the inflation rates for the years 1995 through 2000. In 1995 the average headline inflation rate was 3.4%, in 1996 it was less, at 2.4%. Inflation was 3.1% in 1997, 3.4% in 1998, in 1999 it dropped to a measly 1.4%, but rose somewhat to 2.9% in 2000, only to fall back down to 2.0%.
Therefore, either councils are being extremely profligate with our money, or they haven't a clue how to spend it wisely, or they are being ripped off by cowboy contractors, or they just don't give a damn and will carry on milking council taxpayers for ever because they can, and because traditionally council tax payers have paid up like the complicit little serfs they usually are. More and more people are withholding some or all of their tax as a protest, however, and if the increase next year is more than a fraction above the inflation rate, there will be a groundswell of civil disobedience, of that I am certain.
MM

Or you will find that something like 3/4 of their funding comes from, and is dictated by, central government. So if Tony and his cronies decide council A is not getting any more money this year, and council A have spending plans premised on an overall rise of 2%, then they have to charge 8% extra to all local taxpayers. It is a great scam for Prudence Brown to raise even more tax without appearing to be the bad boy.
None of this should be taken as meaning I approve of any aspect of it, or that I believe that any or all councils spend money wisely and efficiently. But that's how the system works.
--
If you think women aren't explosive, drop one sometime.

Mail john rather than nospam...

So Council Tax has to keep pace with inflation, has it? Is that in the rules somewhere?

Or the cost of the sort of services councils provide (which aren't like buying beans from a supermarket, after all) aren't typical of the sort of measure that people use when they calculate inflation.
--
SAm.

Nah hte rules say taxes must bound ahead of inflation while public sector wages must languish and wages rises must always be less than inflation.
It's difficult to see what causes the guld between income and outgoings, or at least until you see how councillors line their pockets with "expenses". Our local council leader rattled up 60K in expenses last year. I have business interests in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and the UK. I do three to four lecture tours a year. I pay for it all from my own pocket. My expenses are not 60K/pa.
Yet auditors approve this ludicrous claims.
Firth wrote:

But if you added all the expense claims they would come to perhaps 1-2% of what your council spends. When I went to work for RB Kingston in 1975 all the admin and clerical work for a fair sized department was done by one not overly paid clerk and a couple of PT assistants. When I left ten years later, personnel and management services had half a floor, and most of them were on fairly generous salaries by council standards. And, if the mocking of the ads in the Guardian is only half justified, it's got a lot worse since.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk says...

Unless you happen to be an MP?
[11 lines snipped]

SAm was kidding. We know each other from another 'froup.
[23 lines snipped]

Or, my choice, all of the above.

Oh, I do hope so.
On 2 Dec 2003 12:34:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Oh, what a shame. I was waiting for the reaction. I'm disappointed now :-(
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Sorry to disappoint you.
If you want to see full-scale tantrums, I suggest visiting uk.transport.