"Council" Tip policy?

Page 1 of 6
Anyone and idea what the policy is on things taken to the "tip". The ones where they take your stuff if you can get under the barriers and it goes in x y z skips/containers, rubble/topsoil, scrap, wood, garden waste etc.
The one nearest me is run on behalf of the local council by a private firm from down south. I've not spoken to anyone there yet but it breaks my heart when I'm there taking bags of rubble, plaster etc. and I see some of the stuff people with more money than sense throw away.
Must be too many episodes of Steptoe and Son. :-)
I did see a guy the other lunchtime rumaging through the scrap skip but he might have been on a backhander or something. ;-)
Mark S.

Where I live you can take stuff to the tip for free in a private car, but not in a pickup or van. Also, there is a *very* low height restriction. On Saturdays the height barrier is raised, but still no pickups or vans for free.
You are allowed to dump anything (not WMD). There are seperate containers for green waste, wood, general rubbish, and metal. There is also a place for batteries and a tank for old engine oil. I suppose the service is very good, really.
You are not allowed to take anything away, but the tip monitors (two or three beefy guys with flourescent jackets) salvage things like doors, lawn mowers, and so on, which you can pick up for a song. My front door several years ago cost eight quid from the tip and later on a bathroom sink in perfect condition cost just a few pounds.
But the rubbish that we accumulate! It's enormous! When I think of similar tips all over the country we must be chucking away thousands and thousands of tonnes of rubbish every year, a veritable mountain of rubbish.
MM

Ah yes Mike, but just consider it all material for a 'Time Team' production in 3003 !
Andrew Mawson

I believe the "stuff" they can sell for recycling goes to help the running costs, but then if you offer one of the guys a few bucks for something I don't think he'd refuse, specially on the wages they get!
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 05:32:28 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"

I wonder how much they'd want for the JCB that comes by every now and then to compact the contents in the containers...
MM

I did see a guy the other lunchtime rumaging through the scrap skip

Was it just after the lottery results?
gaz wrote:

I banged my head on the barrier carrying the rubbish under the barrier, today. Do you think I should sue the council for infringement of my human rights, or get the health and safety executive to take themto court?

<snip>
Probably !.... :~((

barrier,
my
themto court?

message

Exactly, start taking care of your own safety rather than rely on others and compensation payments...
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | I banged my head on the barrier carrying the rubbish under the | barrier, today. Do you think I should sue the council for | infringement of my human rights, or get the health and safety | executive to take themto court?
Yes :-)
I think you should also claim that your height is a disability and they are not providing you with an accessible service under the Disability Discrimination Act.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Now you are talking sense.

I tried to take in some waste oil the other day, I had four five gallon drums. The jobsworth told me I could be prosecuted for carrying so much waste oil at one time and not to come with that much again.
MrCheerful
MrCheerful wrote:

It varies very much from LA to LA even within London.

I've been known to come away with more than I went with :-) Like the time a nearby PC software outlet went bust and an employee was dumping loads of new unwrapped boxes in the skip..

They have "authorised salvagers" around here. If you want anything you can generally get it for free or next to nothing.

That sounds very much like commercial quantities and as such you should pay to have it disposed of. Why should the council tax payers subsidise your activities?

Bloody hell! 20 gallons! Are you scrapping one of the ghost ships?
MM

That has built up over about a year, apparently I can take in a gallon at a time without query, but over three gallons is regarded as being in need of a licence to transport waste !!
As far as I can establish any commercial oil pickups will only deal with several hundred gallons at a time. Also the tip get paid for the waste oil by recycling firms , so if anything I am subsidising the rate payers anyway.
MrCheerful

<snip>
oil
anyway.
Not now days, you have to pay the recycling firm to collect, they don't buy it off you any more (and has not done so for some time).
MrCheerful wrote:

Gooid grief! Everyine lknows that the correct way to dispose of waste oil is to pour it on the combined asbestos waste and used car tyres you have heaped in the back of the stolen pickup shortly before setting fire to it 200 meters from the nearest gathering of travellers...whatever posessed you to take it to the tip?

For many years I had been taking garden waste in the back of my trailer where on arrival at the tip I could shovel it into the 'green garden waste skip', very quick & easy for me to dispose of. The Council have now classed this (along with household building rubble) as 'industrial waste; and put galvanised wire sheets at the 'shovelling end of the skip thus preventing shovelling, I now have to bag it all and walk down the catwalk to empty them, meaning that I get less on my trailer and the soil/rubble bags are very heavy.
On my first visit to the tip after the new rules I had loaded my trailer with bags of rubble from a job I was doing in MY house only to be told by the bombastic dictator tip attendant that I could not load the trailer full of bags and had to take it away, after very heated debates over the phone explaining the waste of time, effort & effect to the environment (exhaust emissions) doing numerous trips with only one bag in the boot of my car I got the rule changed to allow for a trailer loaded with bags.
The other week after digging my drive up I had to pay 105 for a skip when I could of taken it in my trailer over a couple of days but the thought of lifting that many half full heavy rubble bags put me off!
It still baffles me why I can't loose fill my trailer and shovel it out, after all it's going into the same skip and waste site?.
Mike P.
[21 lines snipped]

Because of the motto of "public" "services" everywhere; 'We've got your money and we don't give a shit'.