Cost for re-instating electrical supply after disconnection

I'm dealing with a commercial property in SE England. There was a fire at the property, and the electrical supply was disconnected in the street. The building has now been repaired, and I want to restore the electricity supply.

The supply cable, electricity meter and switchgear were not affected by the fire at all, so the only damage would be whatever was done to disconnect in the street. It's a three phase supply if that makes any difference.

I've asked to reconnect the electricity supply, and have been given a quote from UK Power Networks for what looks like a complete new installation costing about GBP 1500:

"Three phase service, from passing main, including cable, mains service joint, excavate and backfill joint hole, and termination. Service cable up to 10 meters."

I've asked if it's not possible to just re-connect the disconnected cable, and was told no.

Am I being fobbed off, or is it really necessary to install a complete new supply after disconnection in the road?

Reply to
Caecilius

I suspect the main reason for this is that the property has had a fire. You might ask the company for a site inspection though of course this will cost you too!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't know, but wouldn't this be part of the insurance claim?

Same thing happened to an indian resturant just up the road from me (brand new), but in that case it was the supply and fuse box cupboard that went up. Couldn't see it in enough detail to see where it started, but it took out the whole lot, and it was all brand new. The resulting smoke damage closed the place for months.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It doesn't sound as though you are. There is no mention of replacing any of the company equipment in the building. They are simply going to dig a joint hole, provide up to 10 metres of new service cable, connected to the street main, and make good the hole. Most of the £1,500 will be accounted for by digging the hole and making good again.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sorry, but I have to ask. With that posting name, did you do Latin at school, with those books about Caecilius and his family? Then the later ones with Salvius in England?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

All it reminded me of was that Paul Simon song.....and I did Latin at school

Reply to
Newshound

You can dig the hole & reinstate your self ... so they only have supply cable & connect .... would bring price down a lot

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If UKP are following EDF's example, it is fairly likely that the price quotd assumes the customer *is* digging and reinstating...

Reply to
Tim Watts