CORGI Advice required

Hi guys,

I'm planning on fitting a 5 ring burner in the kitchen. The current gas pipe is a 15mm that feeds our old Potterton wall mounted boiler.

Is it acceptable to feed the hob with a branch off this 15mm pipe or is a new feed from the meter required?

TIA

Ian

Reply to
Ian Waddell

Hi guys,

I'm planning on fitting a 5 ring burner in the kitchen. The current gas pipe is a 15mm that feeds our old Potterton wall mounted boiler.

Is it acceptable to feed the hob with a branch off this 15mm pipe or is a new feed from the meter required?

TIA

Ian

Reply to
Ian Waddell

The boiler is a maximum of 10m from the meter, the hob will be closer.

Does this make a difference?

Regards,

Ian John Stumbles wrote:

Reply to
Ian Waddell

Depends on the pipe sizes and consumption of the appliances. However if the pipe is 15mm all the way from the meter (and it's several metres) I'd guess it may be undersized.

Reply to
John Stumbles

u need to take the pipe in sections a to b meter to first t towards an appliance, b to c next section or t, and so on, each fitting adds one half metre to the total length as far as pipe sizing is concerned. generally it is 22mm as a 'main and then 15mm for branches. not always tho as it depends on maximum demand *and* you have to consider future possible/probable expansion/increase in useage

maybe this will help:

Gav

Have a dedicated pipe to the meter for the boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is the maximum power of the boiler? and the hob? What is the distance from the meter to the proposed branch position? What is the distance from the branch to the boiler?

Given those we can work it out, although gut feel suggests you are going to come out undersized.

Reply to
John Rumm

Your installer should be able to advise you.

It is likely that the supply to the boiler is already in adequate and adding a 5 ring hob (itself having the rating of a small boiler) will certainly be too much.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You'd need to do the calculations, based on the precise pipe lengths to each appliance, the diameter of the pipes, and the power consumption of each appliance. Even my fairly limited experience tells me that you are

*very* unlikely to be able to hang a boiler and hob off a single run of 15mm tube.

There should probably be a run of 22mm or 28mm from the meter, with appropriately-sized branches off this for each appliance.

Don't get this wrong, and make sure your calculations and work are both checked by someone competent if you plan on doing any of this yourself. I regard myself as fairly pernickety about such matters, but it turns out I would have probably screwed-up several times over on the gas work I've recently done without the advice of my neighbour's (CORGI registered) son, as well as learned people in this group.

Reply to
Chris Cowley