Copper pipe in concrete

I have to move a radiator to the other side of a doorway.

Without going into detail the easiest method is to create a channel across the doorway (solid concrete floor) and route the 10mm flow and return in it, then concrete back over the top.

So the question is, do I need to protect my copper from the concrete or will it be ok??

Cheers

Reply to
Gordy

You need to insulate the pipe. While the cement is curing, it attacks the copper. Standard pipe lagging will do the job.

Reply to
Bod

Yes and no respectively. Denso tape is usually used, although I have laid copper tube inside PVC conduit when that was all I had.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:10 Gordy wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Protect it without doubt.

1) Cement will attack it.

2) If the pipe wants to expand and contract it will eventually end up rubbing itself to death.

The "old way" was wrap it in denso tape.

You could (and I would) slide it inside a bit of plastic pipe. Plastic water pipe would be a good choice - it would allow a gentle bend for the pipe to come up both sides. You could even replace the pipe in the future if needed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Protect it. Concrete attacks copper pipe.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

So why not just use plastic pipe in the first place:-)?

Reply to
ARW

It needs protecting. IIRC it will fit nicely inside some 15mm speedfit pipe. You could just use speedfit.

Reply to
dennis

Expansion and contraction plastic is a lot softer than copper... And I think plastic expands more than copper as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about plastic pipe with a wrapping of something like, umm, pipe insulation? After all, the OP possibly doesn't want to lose heat from the pipe into the concrete floor. (Depending on circumstances - appreciate sometimes it would make no difference.)

Reply to
polygonum

On the other hand, each size of plastic pipe slips quite happily through the size above, making a very convenient conduit and giving protection and insulation (not that I've done this through a floor, only through walls!)

Reply to
GMM

On Thursday 09 May 2013 19:19 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Then you couldn't replace it :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

concrete made with flyash attacks Cu, sand/opc doesn't. Long runs get into trouble with thermal expansion if not sleeved.

If ground floor, insulate it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222