Cooke and Lewis bathroom stuff

I'm beginning to assemble stuff for our shower room refit. I see B&Q are having a sale of Cooke & Lewis bathroom stuff, but I've never heard of them. I know of names like Twyfords, Armitage Shanks, V&B etc. but who are C&L? Do they manufacture or are they just merchants, and is their stuff any good?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They're just a B&Q own brand, AFAIK.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This confirms it ...

Andy Burns

Yup - just a posh-sounding invented name to con people with.

eBuyer do likewise with their Foehn and Hirsch stuff.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Much like Haagen Dazs "ice cream".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

See

at the figures mentioned, it looks like the branding worked. Helped on by "dubious" wording about "new partnership" and the fictional Mr Cooke and Mr Lewis each bringing their particular expertise ! All strictly legal of course. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

And blatant, with it!

"Cooke & Lewis ? a name with implied heritage, intuitive familiarity and=20 instant authority."

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I see your Haagen Dazs and raise you a M=F6ben.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The difference being that Haagen Dazs icecream is nice and Möben are a bunch of ... well, perhaps their lawyers read this. But put it this way, when I was young and foolish I bought a kitchen from them. Never again.

Reply to
Huge

No, Haagen Dazs started as an independent company before it was bought by a conglomerate

tim

Reply to
tim....

Like McAllister power Tools & I believe Magnusson hand tools.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like Cadbury's. Their chocolate already tastes crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was still a made-up name, IIRC.

Reply to
Skipweasel

And which names, exactly, aren't "made up", Mr. Skipweasel? :o)

Reply to
Huge

The one true name of the angle-grinder, of course. Which we mortals don't yet know, but may be revealed to us in time when we achieve true perfection.

Reply to
Skipweasel

A lot of the Cooke & Lewis stuff is supplied/distributed by PJH Group under a different, cheaper name (often 'no-name'):

Many of the baths and suites at B+Q can be bought cheaper from Independent merchants. These have the full price PJH brochure:

But the prices are a start point, there is always a sale on, you find a dealer in your area, he'll give you a new brochure with the latest prices. They are nearly always cheaper than B+Q, and get it in quicker too.

HTH Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Many thanks to everyone for the information on C&L, and the other stuff!

Reply to
Chris Hogg