Consumer [Unit] Choice

I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.

Wylex flexible split 12 way at £72.50 Volex split 12 way at £58.98 Crabtree split 10 way at £69.87 MK split 12 way at £74.94

Pricewise all much of a muchness.

I need at least 9 circuits but would prefer 10.

I am puzzled by the variation in description. If the blurb is to be believed the Wylex only has 9 ways although the illustrations appear to show at least 10 for all of them. The MK is a 6 - 4 split and I presume the RCD side is the 4 but if it is 6 then it will not be suitable.

Reply to
Roger

I fitted 3 Volex one over the last 2 years or so. They are just fine, although the plastic feels a little on the cheap side. But then again, who cares about that really?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Buy the MK one, but go for the size larger than you think you will need, because eventually you will. 2004 is going to last a long time....

Reply to
Andy Hall

??do these prices include MCBs?

tlc quote 32.85+vat for a 14 way split load Contactum (without MCBs)

Way Split Board with 100A Switch + 80A 30mA RCD

split point is variable allowing 5 to 8 ways on the RCD side - you cut the Cu bus to suit your choice.

Other sizes are listed at proportionate prices.

Contactum is a high quality brand

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

I fitted one recently and was suprised how flimsy the "plastic" ones are (better not name the make. It works just fine though but would feel better if it was one of those nice metalclad things. Cost more of course. I guess there is a BS standard for these things and all the makes mentioned are sure to qualify.

Reply to
Dave

The last couple I fitted in homes, I bought MEMshield2 industrial steel CU's. Absolute joy to work with when compared to the flimsy plastic CU's, although you'll need a proper sheet steel hole punch if you want to make holes anywhere there isn't a semi-punched knock-out (or for the upper/lower plate covers, you can hacksaw a slot). They are bigger than domestic CU's, but that means there's plenty of space inside for neat layout of wiring. MEM were bought by Eaton in 2004, so product name may have changed.

The original reason for choosing one was that it was in a cupboard which was full of coats, usually pressing up against the CU, and I though that if anything went badly wrong inside one of the plastic CU's, there was a good chance it might set light to all the fabric.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Why the MK one in particular? Screwfix at least do not list a larger variation.

And do you know if the split is 4 to the RCD or 6?

I was tending towards the Crabtree if only because they are offering 5 double sockets with it and I need some more sockets but that is a 5-5 split while I would prefer only 4 on the RCD.

I am a bit disapointed by the small number of responses but thanks anyway to all who have replied.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "jim_in_sussex" contains these words:

Yes. Although I might have to buy the odd one or two extra to get the circuit protection I want.

I will give them a look although overall that looks a bit more expensive than the ones I originally listed. I haven't dealt with tlc-direct before while I do have a current Screwfix catalogue to thumb through at my leisure. (I am waiting to see what is currently just over the horizon before taking the plunge with broadband).

Reply to
Roger

There's a much wider range then stocked by Screwfix - MK literature here:

say I don't like their current rather bulbous-looking design for the housing front. The older flat smoked acrylic fronts were much nicer, IMHO, but MK continue to have a wider range of accessories than many of the other manufacturers.

Most, if not all, systems are flexible in this respect. BTW you should only have socket circuits on the RCD side.

I can't help thinking you'd be better off going to a local wholesaler where you can see exactly what you're going to get.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I wouldn't buy from Screwfix, because the range is limited and prepackaged. IME, MK has the best consistent quality in electrical fittings and components.

I would suggest looking at TLC Electrical (on line) or go to a local WF branch. You can get MK Sentry consumer units in up to 20 way if you like and can choose exactly which MCBs you actually need.

Reply to
Andy Hall

TLC are very good. I got my Contactum from them and was pleased with it. I went Contactum because they had the cheapest RCBOs and it came in a very large version.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:16:15 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Seconded. It is something they have maintained over many decades. Their equipment is usually a joy to work with, compared to certain other brands.

Reply to
David Hansen

Find your local independent electrical wholesaler from Yellow Pages, ring them up (or better still go in), tell them what you want and see what they can offer.

Prices can vary enormously depending what they have in stock. One wholesaler I use was selling a 10 way split box *with MCBs* for 36 quid plus VAT a month or so back.

Most units cone with (or have as an accessory) replacement busbars which allow you to adjust the split point to where you want it to be (e.g. 8+2 rather than 6+4) rather than where the manufacturer has set it.

John

Reply to
John White

The message from Andy Wade contains these words:

The Volex and Crabtree ones I quoted do appear to be fixed proportions.

It was my intention to put the three ring mains and the immersion heater on the RCD side. Is the immersion heater a dubious choice?

The other circuits would be: 1. Sub main to barn, 2 and 3 lighting circuits, 4 freezer, 5 alarm and 6 boiler. If possible the old 8 way consumer unit will be recycled to the barn (like its 3 way fusewire predecessor) with 2 RCBOs to give the protection there.

I might just do that, my current consumer unit (Vynckier) was sourced locally. But I am not sure how good a deal (or how wide a choice) I can get locally and living on a small pension means the choice is often either cheap or nothing.

Reply to
Roger

Absolutely agree. The build quality is significantly lower than the older smoked acrylic front ones, and there's less space inside. MK buy them in now, apparently. I still have very high regard for the stuff they make themselves though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Go for the Volex. Must have fitted a dozen over the last year and are well worth the money. The bus bar is in one length so you can cut it where you like, not just 6 plus 6. Yes they are plastic but I have not found them to be that flimsy. Regards=20 Legin

Reply to
legin

Somewhat, since it doesn't usualy *need* an RCD (apart from TT installations where all circuits need RCD of some form) and is one of the appliances noted for being a cause of nuisance tripping.

Sounds sensible. The 3 way fusewire one can then be sold on Ebay to some sad collector of electrical junk.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Go for the Volex. Must have fitted a dozen over the last year and are well worth the money. The bus bar is in one length so you can cut it where you like, not just 6 plus 6. Yes they are plastic but I have not found them to be that flimsy. Regards Legin

If you call at edmundson-electrical and buy 2 Volex boards you get a free easter egg. The problem is Volex are shit and I would prefer a free Volex CU with 2 Easter eggs from the Easter Egg shop. There is very little room to place the cables in a fully loaded (or nearly fully loaded) 12 way Volex board. The Crabree and Wylex CUs have more top space than the Volex. The Crabree and Wylex have identical casings to each other with a different layout on the RCD and earth and neutral bars (They also have totally different MCBs with the Crabtree MCB being the creme de la creme for fitting and changing)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The message from Owain contains these words:

Extremely sad I should think. Do people really pay good money for such junk?

Reply to
Roger

The Ebay traders' motto is "I buy tat and sell curiosities and collectables"

Owain

Reply to
Owain