Condensing Combi boiler price drop

the
Not so. many flue face onto landing with overhangs from the landing above.

OK, so for people living in places like that, perhaps there may be a problem. However this is not the majority of housing and for the typical house it is not going to be an issue.
If you think it's a big deal, why don't you write to your friend jag+=2 and tell him about it - see whether he thinks it's a nuisance for his modest properties.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

plume
remarkable,
above
lot
most
and
above.
I would say in London 10% of existing properties converted to condensers would give problems. That is a lot of homes.
< snip babbling >

Assuming your figure to be true, that means that 90% wouldn't.
The glass is 90% full, not 10% empty..........

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote:> >I would say in London 10% of existing properties converted to condensers

Energy saving overall in London would not reduce as these 10% would be forced into electricity.
Which uni was it that you said made you think? I'll remember not to sent people there.

This is another famous extrapolation without figures or logic. Are you going to write to Ken about this and tell him that he needs to make jag+=2 unhappy again?

That would be good.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

condensers
Ken should be written to. Great man.

I know.

Written off you mean.
I will say one thing for him, however. At least he makes his position on things clear unlike the jokers in Downing St.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

LOL. How Little Middle England.

Indeed. I doubt the Greenstar would result in a claim for nuisance no matter where it was installed if the pluming stayed at its current level.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

You had a quite respectable cloud steaming away there lunchtime Monday (I was working at a house backing onto the back of yours, from where I could see it) and I think if you had a horizontal flue discharging directly towards e.g. next door's kitchen window it would be a nuisance.
John S

Ah. I haven't seen it during the day, only at night. Perhaps it goes to bed after 6pm.
Christian.

No. A multipoint doesn't do heating, only DHW.

IMM wrote:

So you were suggesting doing the opposite of what we currently have? Rather than the 'boiler' heating the CH circuit which can run through the cylinder coil you now have a 'water heater' which heats up water in a cylinder. This cylinder can then have a coil going through it which goes to the radiators.

Rather
cylinder
This
radiators.
Yep. It will eliminate boiler cycling, as the cylinder is effectively a thermal store. It will also give a shower far higher pressure than a gravity shower, as the bronze pump acts as a circulator between the multipoint and a shower pump when the shower is turned on.

We've had this debate before as well. While this approach reduces boiler cycling, it does not allow the boiler to modulate down to lower temperatures where it can be even more efficient.
It is better to run the CH directly from the boiler and allow downward modulation to occur and then to have a heat bank or other energy store such as a DHW cylinder with an effective coil to transfer heat quickly from the boiler.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

This a multipoint heating potable water directly. This is a cheap to install system (multipoints can be had for 350) that eliminates boiler (or mutipoint) cycling and a good pressure shower and fills a bath zippo. The total cost of the main componenst is low:
- mutipoint - 2-port valve - flowswitch - high head bronze pump (the only expensive item) - cheap CH pump - cyl stat(s) - room stat - 200 litre cylinder or thereabouts, part L, or above,
Most multipoint have simple mechanical controls with no electric and no electronic board. Chaffeteux made a similar CH boiler about 25 years ago. It was an adapted multipoint with temperature control. The Ascots never had temperature control, but some Main's did. The pump pressure opened a gas valve. No flow no gas, as in all multipoints. They had a 30,000 btu/hr model that was an adapted sink heater with a conventional flue adaptor on the top. They were used in flats. It was strange to see what looked like a small sink heater in a kitchen with a flue off the top and no swivel spout. They worked very well.

No multipoint I have ever seen fills a bath zippo unless you're talking about a bird bath.

.. and a lifetime of the rubber diaphragm of about 2 years max.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

the
cylinder.
(or
Read the original explanation and draw it out. The bath would be filled by the cylinder, only the shower directly from the multipoint. The CH via a coil in the cylinder.

had
like a

spout.

This isn't some new deeper magic.
Basically this is a variant of using a combi to provide instant hot water for a shower and then using the heating function to charge up an energy store. This time the energy store is the bath water either at 60 degrees or something higher with a blending valve.
If it is at 60, then the radiators need to be calculated for a lower MWTA temperature.
Are you talking about the "boiler" being conventional or condensing?
Where's the value in doing this?