Concrete Patio

I know this is a tough one. I have a concrete patio about 5m x 5m that I want to cover with a light grain gravel. The reason being that the concrete looks sh*t. What I want to know is, I think there is a method for laying a substrate of bitumen adhesive, and then coating it with the gravel to a thin layer. The reason you would do this is that if you just chuck a load of gravel on top of concrete it will just slide around and pile up in the corners.

My question is, what would be the best type of substrate, and I can I buy tubs of it rather than have a contractor come round with a flippin asphalt truck...?

Any help gratefully received!

Reply to
JJA

I'd be inclined to lay about 3" of dryish mixed sand and cement and then tip gravel onto it while wet..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When we had our hard-standing and drive "done", we didn't want 200 square meters of black tarmac, so after som experimentation we got the contractor to roll gravel into the top-coat while it was hot and still sticky, so it looks like gravel, but is actually hard. It worked a treat. But it was done "hot".

Reply to
Huge

Timber decking sounds an ideal solution?

If you want any advice let me know, I've built loads.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman