Compost fly control (electrical)

Hi There,

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of annoying small flies.

I imagine this is a great application for some home grown technology. The perfect product for this situation would be some kind of (low supply voltage) electrical insect zapper, that perhaps uses a UV LED as "bait". Do such things exist?

I see Maplin sell these

but they do not look like they would last long inside a compost bin.

Any better suggestions?

Vortex

You have it badly set up. It should be a not unpleasant smell. You put a layer of waste covered with a layer of cellulose and soil or similar. The process thus goes on under cover.

How many others are having the same problem? Take a look at what the more successful users are doing.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Cap it off every now and again with a few shovels of earth. Also look out for any entrance holes dug around the bottom rim... it could mean that you have attracted rats.

Reply to
Tony Williams

leave the top off for a while to allow "fly eating insects" access

Alex

Reply to
alex

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:25:17 +0100 someone who may be "Vortex" wrote this:-

Probably too much green material and not enough brown.

Have you put raw meat into the bin?

doesn't cover flies, but is a useful summary of what should be going on inside the heap.

Reply to
David Hansen

But only if you happen to be disturbing the bin surely? Ours is home to small flies as well but they aren't a problem, just a minor irritation when the bin is opened. Open the lid away from you then they tend not to fly at you.

If you've got rats in a compost bin it will be obvious, as they will turn and mix the contents very effectively. The fresh stuff won't stay where you left it from one day to the next.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ummm..... no I didn't write that.

Reply to
Tony Williams

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:35:15 +0100 someone who may be Tony Williams wrote this:-

That is entirely obvious, because of the extra level of quoting.

Reply to
David Hansen

But you quoted it. Count the >'s... in my message an you will see it is a quoted quote rather than a quote.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|Hi There, | |A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for |garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite |having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume |compost chemistry is in action.

Compost always compacts as it rots down, Keep adding stuff you will win in the end ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

What are you going to use this compost for, then?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Spreading on Cadbury's chocolate.

Reply to
Guy King