compatible printer cartridges

First pack of Office Depot compatibles worked fine (Epson RX420) so I bought some more.

However, it appears Epson are not to be fooled twice!

This printer does not recognise etc....

Anyone know of a work-around?

Or have I cocked up the specifying by opting for 12ml capacity rather than the Epson 8ml?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are a number of Q&A for that printer here

might help?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks. On further reflection I may have wrongly specified the order. google shows the item as suiting the rx4200 rather than 420 oh well...

Lots of dirt cheap offers out there. Any experience? I have always found Epson very fussy!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have had poor experiences with compatible cartridges. They seem to just block up. Even had a set that were fine until I primed them (as they had blocked up) then the printer rejected them as the wrong kind.

A mono laser printer will pay for itself very quickly.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Epson is quite aggressive in trying to stop the use of compatibles. They have a habit of bringing out printers that use the same OEM cartridges as previous printers, but which don't recognise the chips in existing compatibles. The compatible manufacturers then have to catch up with new versions of their chips.

When I was selling ink cartridges, I imported G&G cartridges, as, while not the cheapest, they were very reliable and, being a huge manufacturer, they were very good at making their cartridges work with Epson.

This was my business, until I sold it upon retirement.

The current owner is, however, on a canal boat this week.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I always buy genuine cartridges nowadays. It's just not worth taking the risk IMHO. I've had so many 'compatible' cartridges either not work at all or fail prematurely.

Reply to
Mark

+1. I have a Laserjet 5 (duplex) for everyday mono stuff and a Dell 1320c colour laser for the limited time I need colour. It also doesn't do a bad job at all on photographs, especially if you laminate them.

Where they *really* pay for themself is saving you time faffing around with inkjets and their cartridges.

Reply to
newshound

I have used cheap compatibles in my Epson BX300f for years with no problems at all since started buying an un named brand from the local market stall. See

for what they look like.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

For 5 years I have bought cheap carts for my (posh) HP printer from here without any problems.

Mr Pounder

Around here we have several shops that refill cartridges. The people at these shops are well up in the race to put them out of business. If I have a problem, I take my printer along and he fixes the problem, FOC. They also clean print heads and any other problem you might have

Reply to
harry

Yes. A small outlet at Hemel Hempstead fixed my *waste ink full* shut down.

I have reordered and also purchased a trial pack from Mr Pounder's rec. outlet.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 I use exactly the same compatibles for the last 5+ years (they used to come in a blue box). I have had zero trouble with them. I tend to buy 5 sets at a time and they were around £6 a set (black + 3 colours)

They also contain 19ml of ink compared to the 7ml in the Epson originals.

Unfortunately they seem to be hard to find and the Ebay seller that I previously purchased them from no longer stocks them.

Reply to
alan

Do a Google search for "unbranded ink cartridges" and select "images" they soon come up. eBay item 180913861434 for instance.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Printer inks are a pure rip off industry. As with most. When devices are 'chipped' for better 'user experience' you have to think out of the box. They do more 'work' to add tech' that is for our benefit? My arse!

The link below is the first expose I came across. It gives a good enough account, but somewhere on Ytube is a better representation where it reveals that costs of cartridge ink is equivalent to £1000 per litre.

So, there is plenty of room for a reseller to make plenty when doing you a 'huge favour' and reducing the price by 2 or, 3 pounds a cartridge.

Look for Continual/Endless Ink Systems and when those eventually run out buy the £3.00p 100ml top ups. Mine cost £32.00 with 100ml in each tank. Something they did not tell you on the very informative (peoples) broadcast company when reviewing ink costs recently.

Reply to
RayL12