Reply to
Matt

But how would you know?

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

well i'm convinced dr d.

have spoken with Rinnai and looks good to me.I shall go with Rinnai 24e or maybe 32e (but probably overkill) and run bath and two showers off it.Might even get rid of bath and rent spare space to another student ( private landlord humour)

key point is we have an outside area mid way between bath and new shower area where we can get Rinnai on external wall and get good runs to it.

Only last issue is that gas supply may need meter upsize due to amount of gas consumption now required..We will have gas cooker (oven and hob), gas hw/ch through 828 and also new rinnai to deal with.

anyway many thanks and stop all those others being horrid to you!!

Reply to
richman

Rinnai only sell a few models in the UK. If you look at the Japanese, USA, Auss, Singapore and NZ websites the range is much more extensive. Also companies like Takagi sell in the USA, who so some superb condensing models that can deliver around 38 litres/minute and are very efficient. We are way behind in litres/minute delivery in the UK.

In countries where they are sold and supported, every MacDonalds has banks of Rinnais, from two upwards. It is their policy to use them where possible, as they are very reliable and don't take up space as large cylinders do. A

24 litre/minute Rinnai can deliver 1440 litres an hour. A 1,440 litres cylinder is "big" and "expensive", and takes up valuable space. For continuous flows, like a MacDonalds, instant water is by far the best way, if the cold mains can cope of course. In the south of the USA you see Rinnais on frames outside, behind the diners.

You only have three appliances: Rinnai, 828 and a cooker. Using the smaller Rinnai, you may just scrape through using a smaller U6 domestic meter. Needs checking. A condensing multi-point may has scraped through, but the UK Rinnais are non-condensing. If you have to go to a U16 meter then I would go for the larger Rinnai for peace of mind. You know it will definitely cope, so no whinging students and only £100 more. Also if the combi is down the Rinnai will still be working.

Let us know if and what Transco charge for the new meter. Your gas supplier may foot the bill knowing they are getting the increased gas sales business. Worth a try. Lets us know what you think of the performance. You will not be disappointed.

Do you think I give a hoot. The point is they don't know too much at all, but think they know. Classic cases of a little knowledge is dangerous.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Says it all, really. Drivel answers a problem by saying those with the problem should modify their behaviour so his 'one size fits all' thesis is correct.

And yet claims to design such systems for a living.

He must be a very poor man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep it does.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

From this group in March...

  1. Hamie Mar 25, 12:05 am show options

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y From: Hamie - Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:05:57 +0000 Local: Fri, Mar 25 2005 12:05 am Subject: Re: Hot Water Pressure

No Hot Baths wrote:

Maybe not in this country...

Back in GodZone we had a Rinnai 24 infinity hot water supply. It would supply something like 24l/minute of water at 55C (Apparently they got up to

36l/min). You could get it hotter, but that required adjustment of the unit. The temp was also selectable (Via two units, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen)... A shower? Select 42C. Washing the dishes 55C.

The unit sat on the outside wall & was gas fired. Yes it filled the bath quickly...

When we left Wellington 7 years ago it was becomming pretty standard for new houses to have them instead of hot water storage. Considering when we move here the shower had an electric unit that must have supplied

Make that the UK water supply is s**te too...

Doctor Drivel

Looks like Dr Evil/Dr Drivel/IMM has done it again. Real useful advice. I am interested in one of these Rinnai multi point water heaters, being one of my options. As I mentioned in another post I want to install maybe two Triton Shower Tower body jet panels. The Rinnai seem to fit the bill of running two simultaneously for lengthy showers. People will not use a body jet shower for 5 minutes, so two will use a lot of water maybe for 20 minutes or even longer. That means a very large expensive thermal store or unvented cylinder taking up valuable internal space. Maximising internal space makes me money. Fitting a Rinnai outside is very appealing. Regarding exceeding the gas supply, Dr D mentioned in a previous thread of installing a flow switch in the inlet to the Rinnai to cut out the CH boiler via the room thermostat circuit. Only one appliance is then on at a time and keeps gas consumption below the meters limit. Quite clever. Sounds simple enough to do. In your case I doubt it is not what you want as both the Rinnai and combi have to be operating simultaneously.

I renovate houses for a living. If the system does not do what is advertised after completion I can be sued. No slap it in and hope for the best. It has to deliver. In house renovation I find heating and water the most complex, as there is so many ways to solve a problem. Advice can be highly conflicting, and most of it poor. In comparison electrical systems are simple as there are so few options.

After a while you will find that those who are horrid to IMM are near useless anyway and not worth the time of day. It is a shame as they spoil what is otherwise a decent newsgroup. I would prefer this group monitored to cut the undesirables.

Reply to
timegoesby

It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Has the water supply been checked as well?

So really appropriate for a UK domestic installation, then.

It certainly does. A standard meter is limited to the gas required to deliver 60kW *input*

Reply to
Andy Hall

Looks like Dr Evil/Dr Drivel/IMM/timegoesby has done it again.

Drivel, just as your council flat can be spotted by the water leaking through the walls and the boiler mounted outside, we can spot your posts a mile off

The future's bright, the future's copper, get a copper tank today and keep the Doctor away.

Reply to
Matt

Yep. The outside units have anti-frost protection.

6 cu meters or 212 cu foot. It will go over without any adverse effects.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I wish I had a council flat as they get all sorts paid for them. Ask Richard Cranium.

What confusion. He mixes council flats, boilers, water leaking and my posts all in one sentence.

Our two professional housing men here think differently.

******Do not spam outdated products here. ******** ******Spamming is against your ISP contract. *******
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So 9 litres per minute is 'more than adequate' from a combi but 'piss poor' from the best electric?

Do you understand anything you write?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No that is poor and the bottom of the range. Please go out and buy one. You deserve such performance.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So your standard of comparing the best from one and the worst from the other as the 'norm'?

A 7-9 litre per minute shower?

Now you, being unemployable, might well have all day to get yourself clean. That's if you ever do. Most busy want to be blasted clean in a few minutes in a shower before work - or relax in a large bath afterwards. Neither of which concepts you seem to understand.

Luckily, I specified and got the performance I wanted from both my shower and bath. So don't have to take any of your drivel advice. Others would be wise to do the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to buy one. The cheapest and nastiest you can get.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel