cold water tank "thing"

Hi I've just been into the loft to replace the float valve as the previous one was just too noisy in a whistling sort of way. The new Pegler valve is wonderful!

I had a good look into the tank, and among the broken off peices of limescale there was an orange net bag filled with what looks like white stones. I'm guessing it is something similar to

The question is, does it really work and how often should it be replaced? Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

er you have "broken off peices if limescale" when there is a "lime scale preventer" installed.

Wander over to the Fernox site and download the information sheet.

Personally I don't think Fernox are the sort of company that sells Snake Oil but I suspect that the range of hardness that this can deal with is limited.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, I thought it was a silly question. Although this bag of bits has been in the tank for over 20 years. I'll have a look at the Fernox info, but I'd guess that 20 years is beyond the lifetime of this bag.

Reply to
Grumps

By the look of it, it is a simple phosphate dosing system. It does not soften the water as such, but the addition of small amount of food grade polyphosphate to the water its intended to prevent the scale precipitating out of the water when its heated.

So you should get less limescale deposits in hot water cylinders, and on shower heads etc. However since it does not remove the hardness from the water, you will still get scale deposits when the water evaporates.

Reply to
John Rumm