Cold water feed temperature dropping

Usually it's around 10 deg C in midsummer and 6 deg C in winter, its now hit a new low for me at least at 2.5 deg C as measured with a type K thermocouple probe under a running tap.

I hate to think how crap a combi feeding a shower would be in weather like this!

Reply to
Mike

Mike wibbled on Friday 15 January 2010 00:00

I noticed that too.

Your snow melting lots of icy water into the ground by any chance? Mine is...

Try a 9.5kW multipoint heater :->

At least it's planned to go away in favour of a 100kW plate run off a heatbank (in your face, 2.5C incoming water!)

Reply to
Tim W

That's a narrow range. Mine can (just) hit 20 in the summer, and 4 in the winter. (derived from river water. artesian well water will have a lower range).

What is the reference junction at? I wouldn't rate a thermocouple for absolute accuracy to the degree level without a stable reference. However, I haven't checked mine recently but it feels cold, the river did freeze for the first time in years.

Can't be worse then a Main 7 of yesteryear. Anyone remember those?

Reply to
<me9

My wife commented the same thing last night.

slider

Ours sits nicely at around 55F (13C) all year - that's with temps of up to 90F (32C) in the summer and down to -40F (-40C) in the winter.

Huzzah for deep pipework, I suppose (the well's 80' deep, with the feed from it to the house around 7-8' down)

Reply to
Jules

My mixer is suffering from the cold water in the feed tank too. I had to take the knob off and move the stop ring around a click to get the temp back up a few days ago.

Reply to
dennis

Don't go quoting laws of physics - it upsets the combi fanatics

Reply to
cynic

That's strange. Here (eastern Canada, where current daily temps are about minus 3C varying to plus 1C) the incoming cold water is around

10C summer or winter. We are about 3 kilometres downhill from the towns reservoir/filtering/ chlorination building and the water main is underground all the way. Is it possible some of your water supply includes pumping or storage facilities (water towers etc.) above ground in this colder than usual winter?
Reply to
terry

My shower is fine, with a good flow. It is only a problem if the boiler is not spec'd right, or it needs a service. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Most potable supplies in the UK are from surface water and therefore have marked variation in temperature. Water towers would also allow a reduction in temperature though most intermediate storage is in service reservoirs which are in the ground with the main heat loss I guess being from their surface.

Due to the cold winter, this spring is going to be fun with condensation on the outside surface of water cisterns for toilets!

Reply to
Clot

I high flow combi will cope very well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The hard of thinking can't figure that out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel