Coal price

How much is a reasonable price to pay for a bag of coal? I know you need to know what size bag but I'm sure I'm being ripped off by my local shop :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

found in a quick search on google.

Reply to
p00kie

Cheers - didn't even thing people would sell coal on the Internet :-)

And yes, was being ripped off - £7 for 25kg normal coal is about twice as much as it should be.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Pre bagged coal is expensive these days and is packaged for convenience so that your local shop/garage can stock it easily.

Instead try looking up a coal merchant in your yellow pages. They still tip it from traditional sacks and tend to be much cheaper.

Reply to
PJO

As a child in the 60's I remember the coal lorries delivering bags of coal, and can even remember the coal yard in Southampton Road in Eastleigh. Long since gone.

From your response it would appear that you can still obtain coal for domestic use. Hasn't this been overtaken by rules from the EU?

PoP

PoP

Coal merchants will (normally) deliver prebagged now as it's easier to handle. I think I paid £4.85 a 25kg bag for premium house coal. Stanadard house coal was £4.45 AFAICR. Standard was 1"-2" lumps, premium >2".

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I paid £4.85 a 25kg bag for premium house coal. Stanadard

HHYTOB and AFIITRT too IMHOA

Reply to
PJO

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

OK I give up, was that rude or just a pleasantry?

As Far As I Can Recall AFAICR is rather more common!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Not by EU rules, yet. Coal merchants are still around but more plentiful in areas that are not smokeless zones. There are 4, I think, within delivery area of me.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

No, nothing rude. Just my little way of pointing out just how stupid those silly acronyms are these days. Not many usenet users these days know what they mean and haven't got the time to find out. They make posts unreadable to many and are quickly dieing out in favour of good old English.

Reply to
PJO

I bought anthracite at summer price, L.155/tonne. In pre-pack, this is 40 bags, so nearly L.4/bag. Summer prices are about L.175/tonne, i.e. about L.4.4/bag. Other types of coal are cheaper - what sort are you buying? N.B. this is per tonne, pre-pack, delivered by a Lincs. coal merchant - from the local merchant it's about L.6.5!!!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

"PoP" wrote | As a child in the 60's I remember the coal lorries delivering | bags of coal, and can even remember the coal yard in Southampton | Road in Eastleigh. Long since gone.

You didn't go to Toynbee School did you?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Wyvern. Moved to Bishopstoke from Eastleigh.

Chamberlayne Road before that.

PoP

PoP

"PoP" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >You didn't go to Toynbee School did you? | Wyvern. Moved to Bishopstoke from Eastleigh. | Chamberlayne Road before that.

You probably escaped being taught by one or other of my parents :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'll contact the local coal merchant and see if they can deliver four bags. The local DIY shop sells this house coal for £7.00 25kg which I thought was rather expensive.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson