Cleaning oven/barbecue shelves

Has anyone found a good way to clean the thin metal bars of oven shelves?

Brillo pads are ok but my thumbs and fingers sieze up after a while. There must be a scraping/scrubbing kind of gadget to do this job.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Set fire to them. The accumulated stuff turns to ash, and you can just brush them off when cold.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As tempting as that sounds it's more a kind of brown varnish stuck to the chrome bars, rather than actual food debris, and it's a sod to get off.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in news:42e0d7a2$0$6467$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

You clean barbecue shelves? ;-)

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Put them in the dishwasher

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Ah! Then put the shelves on a sheet of polythene (an old fertiliser sack will do) and give 'em the Mr. Muscle oven cleaner treatment.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

:)

Nope. These are oven shelves but I wanted to convey that they look like bbq cooking racks, just in case there are different kinds of oven shelf wot I am unaware of, like.

I'll shut up now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Ta.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I pop them in the dishwasher. The stuff that's left comes off easy after.

Reply to
dennis

Soak them in hot waterand washing powder. The brown 'varnish' which sticks like, well, will be very easy to rub off with steel wool after an hour.

Believe me, I've done it like this for very many years, frequently, and I don't do anything which is hard work moe than once!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try the stainless steel scourers, I use them every week after sunday roast :-( and they clean the shelves easily.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I like the sound of this - it has the words "very" and "easy" in it. I was hoping you'd reply, Mary :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Extraordinary. The first reply from Mary Fisher that I've seen which contains something relevant to uk.d-i-y, instead of absolute piffle, out of about 3,500 posts (according to Google). Even dIMM betters this by a considerable margin! I don't have to read "her" stuff now, unless it's quoted in replies.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote

Sheet of thickish plastic. Make up a temporary frame with bricks or timber (just lay on the ground), line with plastic sheet. Fill with caustic soda solution & soak overnight.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Use "Oven Pride" as seen on TV :)

Just stick them in the supplied poly bags and pour some cleaner stuff in them. Turn them occasionaly and then wash it off the next day. This worked well on our oven racks.

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

LOL, praise be to the rules of chance that caused my filter (which kills any branch of a thread that Mary has contributed to) to fail on this occasion.

Reply to
fred

My wife mentioned a product that sounded like that. I'm spoilt for choice now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yes ... finish eating, turn to her in doors ... and say see you later.

Don't know what she does, but they are allways clean ... cooking on BBQ's ... man thing cleaning BBQ's ... woman thing

Truth be told we bought a GAS BBQ some years ago, and it has porcelain coated shelves - very easy to clean (or so she tells me)

Reply to
Rick

Think about the environment

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmmmm...I'll smear them in honey and let the ants and bees clean them for me :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot