Cleaning ground glass

I've got some lacquer onto glass panes; the parts that are smooth are easy to clean with a rag and meths, but the obscure ground parts much less so.

Is just more rubbing required, or is there some special technique that will help?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Try a *brass* wire brush. Available from Screwfix and most Car spares shops.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

As anything abrasive will show I would have thought paint stripper would be better than abrasion.

Reply to
Peter Parry

A lot depends on how you use the brass brush. As an example I can take crap of french polished wood with steel wool and not damage it. Mind you thats after years of experience renovating stuff.

Reply to
SS

I think I would start with a tooth brush first. That shound never stratch anything.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Depending on the lacquer, I'd start with solvent. Maybe acetone / nail varnish remover? Cellulose thinners (methyl ethyl ketone)?

Reply to
newshound

Use lacquer thinner (whatever it's called). It's a much more powerful solvent than meths or turps.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

i've found Hammerite thinners [naptha, I think] to be a very powerful solvent, but I'm no chemist so can't vouch for how it would work on lacquer.

Reply to
Simon C.

hammerite thinners = Xylene?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

When I first used hammerite thinners I was quite amazed at just how volatile it was - on a warm day it looked more like a thick gas or mist in the can than a liquid. Anyways... you got me thinking, so from the hammerite site;

Detergent Ingredient Datasheet (Public Non-Confidential) As Required By Article 9(3) of 648/2004 Product Material Details Product Number 257-1 Product Name Hammerite Thinners M5 Ingredients This product contains the following ingredients in order of decreasing abundance by weight:

67-64-1 ACETONE 64742-48-9 NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY 123-86-4 N-BUTYL ACETATE

Supplied by: ICI Paints, Wexham Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 5DS, U.K. Issued Date 06/23/2005

Reply to
Simon C.

aha... yes a little further googling reveals:-

"26-03-2007, 07:03 PM ok, hammerite is ok and for info, is no longer xylene based! It will now wash out with white spirit. Over the last 5-6 years the formula has been changed quite a lot, incidently, I'm a buyer in a decorators merchant so need to know this stuff ;), personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff. We did a test on mild steel with hammerite and a product called rustoleum combicolor straight onto a mildly rusted plate. side by side application, this was 3-4 years ago, within 3 months the rust came through the hammerite, 3 years later the rustoleum was still good, use it on all my rust spots, on the car! Hope this is of some use."

also google in UK.DIY for "Hammerite Thinners" sums it all up (recently)

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Ah right. I confess it was about 5 years ago when I last used it, so what formula it was I don't know. Shame if they've changed it cos in my - admittedly very limited - experioence it used to be good stuff.

Reply to
Simon C.

indeed - I've used quite a lot with good results on home made mild steel railings, gates and balconies etc - no idea what formula my tin has in it til i check.....tho twas within last 3or4 yrs that i purchased (screwfux) so unless "old stock" presume is the new alleged "lite" version - still seems good tho - no probs so far for my stuff.

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1jcgyuv.1mnpchm8nurd3N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

Acetone will dissolve it (nail polish remover).

Reply to
Mr Benn