Cleaning an oil painting

About 40 years ago, my wife and I did a painting by numbers of the Laughing Cavalier and it is in need of a clean up. What can I use to clean it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bottle of No25 followed by a quick rub over with No47 .

Reply to
fictitious

As told to me by a painting conservator ...

First drink a glass of wine Then take a q tip and moisten with spit And wipe over the surface

The wine is to make the liquid more volatile or summat ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Pour plenty of paraffin over it, light the blue liquid and retire to a safe distance.

Reply to
Bruce

A "q tip"? Don't you mean a cotton bud Anna - not another convert to Americanisms I hope?

I keep on spelling centre as center and colour as color, which drives the people I send letters to absolutely crazy! LOL :D

BTW, a nice tip that, will it work on other fairly delicate things besides paintings?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

It was called a q tip in our house when I was a toddler and I dont think America had been invented way back then ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Anna,

I don't believe that you are *that* *old* for one moment. If you are, then I will certainly feel a lot younger myself - and thank you for that!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Angle grinder...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sho how manny glasshes of wine would it take to finish the whole pic pic hic pic picture if you've gotta dlink a glash beffore eassh shpitt.

Reply to
OG

WD40 "The world's number one multi-purpose spray it on anything and it will fix it"

-
Reply to
Mark

?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hear hear. ISTR actually buying things with 'Q Tip' on the container...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, it was painting by numbers so I take it this is cleaning by numbers :-) (Made I larf anyway)

Reply to
John Weston

Creosote.

I think that's what Paddington Bear used once.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

A quick google suggests using bread, rolled into little balls.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How is Chicken Noodle Soup & King Prawn with Mixed Vegetables going to clean a painting?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Anna Kettle writes

As a side issue.... I discovered that sugary saliva does not work for moistening cheap envelope sealing glue.

In my case it was chocolate biscuit saliva:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The Antiques Roadshow often shows spit being used to demonstrate cleaning a dirty picture. But I'd guess the actual formula of spit varies wildly from person to person. So I'll bet pros use something more consistent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you use No. 5, it'll end up smelling nice. No. 40 allows you to start it in cold weather. No. 1 goes well with lemonade, mint, cucumber and strawberries. Don't use No. 1664, and No. 69 is fine with mixers, but probably not straight. No.7 can be removed with cold cream.

On a more serious note, Ray, try Googling for "cleaning an oil painting".

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

I don't remember what he used but I do remember Mr Gruber being a little upset.

"test on an inconspicuous area"

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ