Christmas tree bulbs

It's not a straight binary chop unless you pierce the insulation with the probes - otherwise you need to remove a bulb to gain access, so you need to check that bulb too. But I did miscalculate - it should have been 8 not 11.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It was you that mentioned a meter in the first place. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

10 spare bulbs 98p in B & Q. Sadly the wrong sort..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or 2.4v

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

We've got light sets with 1.2v bulbs...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

We bought a set of 40 Christmas Tree lights from Woolies over 25 years ago. They still stock replacement bulbs, not that we've needed them much. This set is still going strong touch (xmas tree) wood.

Nay, Merry Christmas!!

:-)

Anyone beat 25 years for the life of a set?

Reply to
Adrian C

And make sure there's a fuse lamp in the set. There are a number of house fires at this time of year caused by christmas tree lights. Fitting possibly wrong voltage/wattage lamps in a set can only make this worse.

Would also strongly suggest not leaving them on when there's no one in the room -- mine are on an occupancy sensor and go off after 15 minutes (or if everyone falls asleep).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Actually, this reminds me of a tip which an electrician used when he installed christmas tree lights in some place where he was going to be responsible for keeping the things working for a month... Cut one or two lamps off the end of the spare set and add them to the working set, thereby increasing the life of all the working lamps. Obviously, this needs to be done very safely -- no chocolate blocks waiting for a piece of silver decoration to dangle into the grub screws.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bah, humbug!!! Bit of wire/tinfoil between the bulb/holder of the faulty bulb will do it, saves a trip and gives a mere 5% overvoltage to the other bulbs.

This is one place where a neon screwdriver would find the fault fairly easily, though a decent torch should show up a broken filament. Sticking an insulated screwdriver in the socket of the suspect bulb will confirm it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Rob Morley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I was assuming bulb removal;

I was a bit approximate because trying to work it out made my head hurt.

However after trying it with 20 fuses I agree with 8.

Must be I'm a hands-on (stupid) sort of cove.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Unless Woolies are operating differently to the supermarkets and sheds the Christams stuff has been half price all week in those places...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Indeed, a family died a few days ago in a fire in their house, the lights were apparently one of the suspected causes.

Reply to
chris French

Hi,

A smoke alarm in the same room is a very good idea too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C