Christmas present suggestions?

Page 1 of 4
Further to my earlier thread about Dremels, I've come to the conclusion that I can probably live without one!
But that still leaves me looking for something for SWMBO to buy me for Christmas.
I would welcome suggestions on any tool/device/gadget etc. which you wouldn't be without. Guess we'd better put an upper price limit of 100.
I suppose that it should be vaguely DIY-related, but could include hand or power tools, electronic devices, computer peripheral or software, etc.
TIA.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

With women it's shoes, with me it's power drills. I'm sure it's essential that you have the baby cordless, the cordless combi, the sds, and the b&stard sds. You can always use another one.
One handed quick clamps Big tapes (Fat Max?) Trend's clamp guide for ripping 8 x 4 Decent blow lamp.
--
Toby.

Thanks. Got most of this though - apart from the 8x4 ripping guide. Not sure I's use that very often! Thanks anyway.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The 8x4 ripping guide - I think that's the 50in guide though I could be wrong.
Be aware that Axminster do these at the cheapest price I've seen. I bought two for 36 recently as I recall. They do the business for me.
However I'm going to buy a couple of the 36in versions as well - the 50in are a bit too long for comfort when using less wide stock.
PoP
: Set Square wrote: : > I would welcome suggestions on any tool/device/gadget etc. which you : > wouldn't be without. Guess we'd better put an upper price limit of : > 100. : : With women it's shoes, with me it's power drills.
With this woman it's my wireless network card in my laptop. Got 2, 1 for each laptop from Simply for 70, including base transceiver. Now my laptop is truly portable. Tesco online shopping in the summer, Pimms in one hand, lazily typing, sunbathing at the bottom of the garden. Well that's the dream anyway. Too many bottoms needing wiped, fights to break up, drinks to supply, etc etc for any relaxation. At least I can take it into the loo and continue shopping there. But's it's getting a bit crowded with a ba, 2 wains, me AND a laptop in the toilet together. Still think a wireless network card and a laptop are the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, I've been thinking about one of those! I currently have a wired network and connect to the internet using an ISDN Router on Home Highway. I am thinking of upgrading to Broadband before too long - so it would make sense to wait and get a broadband router which includes a wireless facility.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Well I have some benevolent soul somewhere nearby with an open wireless LAN connection. So I now have a second broadband connection FOC
moral of the story - if you set up a wireless LAN, set up the privacy correctly on it
--
geoff

writes : >> : >> With this woman it's my wireless network card in my laptop. Got 2, 1 : >> for each laptop from Simply for 70, including base transceiver. Now : >> my laptop is truly portable. Tesco online shopping in the summer, : >> Pimms in one hand, lazily typing, sunbathing at the bottom of the : >> garden. Well that's the dream anyway. Too many bottoms needing : >> wiped, fights to break up, drinks to supply, etc etc for any : >> relaxation. At least I can take it into the loo and continue : >> shopping there. But's it's getting a bit crowded with a ba, 2 wains, : >> me AND a laptop in the toilet together. : >> Still think a wireless network card and a laptop are the best thing : >> since sliced bread. : > : > : >Yes, I've been thinking about one of those! I currently have a wired network : >and connect to the internet using an ISDN Router on Home Highway. I am : >thinking of upgrading to Broadband before too long - so it would make sense : >to wait and get a broadband router which includes a wireless facility. : : Well I have some benevolent soul somewhere nearby with an open wireless : LAN connection. So I now have a second broadband connection FOC : : moral of the story - if you set up a wireless LAN, set up the privacy : correctly on it
Yes... when hubby was setting up our we got a really strong signal for someone nearby - with no security settings whatsoever. So I perked up said to hubby "What was on their hard drive, temp internet files in particular, what sort of perve are they?" And what did he say? "I didn't like to look". Useless.

Not a lot of use without knowing what you've got already.
--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

I've got a good selection of electric drills including mains hammer drill, cordless drill and SDS drill with rotation stop. I've also got standalone circular saw, jigsaw, planer, orbital sander and bench grinder - plus a reasonable selection of hand tools and a couple of B&D Workmates.
I haven't got any laser levels or routers. I did buy a 2000w B&Q router earlier in the year but took it back because the motor was dead on arrival and the plunge lock didn't lock. Apart fron that, it was pretty good!<g>. Rather put me off the idea of routers though - yes, I know it's irrational!
I've also got a fair selection of automotive tools - socket sets, trolley jacks, axle stands etc. - and plumbing tools, including pipe bender, pipe, cutter and powerful blowlamp - oh and a selection of ladders.
That's why I'm struggling to find anything else which could possibly be useful.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

This is probably one of the tools I use the most.
The B&Q one is a known dog though. I don't know of anyone here who has bought one and not had problems or taken it back.
If you want one to a budget and are happy with a 1/4" and 8mm model to start with, then the Trend T5 is a good buy.
We had a thread on routers recently and there was also a recommendation for the Freud 1/2" model. About 170 for that one though.
For a router to be useful, the collet must be good and the plunge action smooth among other things. For 1/2" models especially, there needs to be adequate power actually delivered to the cutter.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I have almost everything I need (within reason). The downside is that I have so much junk that I can never find any of it and quite often end up buying another of whatever I need at the time because it's quicker than locating the one which is sitting somewhere in the back of the shed
--
geoff

haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning, 'cos for my current alcove cupboard project every bit of wood used has been new apart from the shelves themselves, even though I *know* I've got useful wood in the garage.
Somewhere. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Just be thankful you don't have a cellar, then. I've no idea how many useful bits of timber are rotting away down there. And half a Rover SD1.
Must run in the family. My brother has a six car garage, but his car lives outside at night.

RIP Acorn
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:32:30 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Hehe, if we had a six car garage there wouldn't be any cars in it either, but a computer museum instead :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
o New set of cordless screwdriver bits ---- to replace the ones you used for crow-bars, hammers ---- as well as rounding out every screw you ever touched
o New set of screwdrivers ---- to replace the set I used to open/stir/set-in paint tins ---- to replace the set I used to bend into interesting shapes ---- to replace those whose flat-ends got bits sort of broken off
This is where your significant other is renamed significant bugger. You call it a screwdriver, I call it hole maker in plant-pots & crowbar.
o Spare cordless screwdriver ---- so the battery you forgot to charge doesn't stop you doing the job ---- so the screwdriver bit is in another tool, so you can trash twice as fast ---- so you don't have to change drill/tap/drill/tap/drill/tap all day long
o Replacement drill bits ---- for when you knocked the mains drill off the desk & broke the drill bit
o Replacement soft-board & squishy hole filler ---- to fill the hole you just made in the floor when the drill bit & drill fell off -------- well it's why they call them drill bits isn't it! ---- and to fill the hole in the soft-board lining of the shed -------- made by a bit of the 5mm drill that brittle fractured on hitting the floor
o Mole grips, because you know something is going to get stuck ---- forget the spanners, you know you never use them ---- far more effective at rounding-off-anything
o New wooden mallet ---- to replace the one you used to bash things to fit ---- because it is now sort of covered in an odd history of dents
o New cordless battery ---- because you can never wait for the old one to charge ---- so this one has the memory of everything except that it's a battery ---- it has no relation to the female species, except it knows what you screwed up :-)
o Tap extraction tool ---- so you can remove all those broken taps scattered about the things you made
o Tap high speed filing tool ---- so you can file off the broken tap extractor & tap in the things you made
o Assorted set of screws ---- so you can spend time going thro them to find yours isn't there
o Spare drill chuck key ---- so by sods law you will never lose the original, but always the replacement
o Drill storage box ---- so all those drills you refuse to throw out can be categorised ---- into blunt, buggered, hole-not-in-your-lifetime & fire-starter
o Longer hedge trimmer cable ---- since you spent more time trimming the cable forever shorter than the hedge
o First aid kit ---- which doesn't require fingers, thumbs, or teeth to open it
o Bulbs created by a company other than GE ---- which is being renamed *King Darkness
o Freezer alarm ---- because all the junk on top of the freezer stopped the door being shut properly
o Castors for everything heavy ---- like the Freezer, the Dryer and anything else, preferably 4" high nylon
o Odd shaped bits of cardboard or wood ---- because you thought you'd save money by buying non-braked 4" high castors
o VDE Screwdriver ---- since there's no need to turn the mains off to spot weld the screwdriver to the MK again
o Garden vacuum ---- so you can mulch fan blades & stones all over the garden
o Pricing chart ---- for the DIY/tool shop so every time you go they charge the SAME price
Q: If you remove the friction clamps on the tool shop desks, do they collapse? -- Dorothy Bradbury www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/panaflo.htm (Direct)
A grinding wheel. Not nearly enough people have one. It can regrind all steel dril bits, sharpen knives, redo damaged screwdrivers, chisels, make tools, I think thats enough.
One that fits in the drill is more eaily stored than a whole benchtop machine - its not like its used a lot, but its worth having several times over.
Regards, NT

Trouble is that to be much use the drill has to be clamped in something - and you need a rigid rest close to the wheel. By the time you've arranged for all of that you might as well have a purpose made bench grinder - they're not expensive.
--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Yeah. I got mine for a tenner, with coarse and fine wheels. Excellent for resharpening paint scrapers and chisels, if you can work out what angle to stick them in at.
Christian.

Definitely useful, but I've already got a wet and dry bench grinder. [Don't use the wet end much though!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square