Choosing location for kitchen appliances

Page 1 of 3
We're trying to lay out the appliances for a new kitchen, and would appreciate some impartial advice on a couple of queries please.
1) Is there any issues with placing a free standing larder (tall) fridge next to a tall built in over housing?
2) Given the need to position an extractor hood over, is there any problem with locating an electric hob right up to a window opening (i.e. along side, not in front of)? No curtains but probably an inset blind in the reveal.
3) To position a built in over near a corner, how much side clearance should there be to stop the oven scorching the cabinets facing (around the corner) when the door's open?
I guess I don't trust the designers not to tell me to do whatever results in the most cabinets/expense.
Mark W.

None that I would know of. The oven and fridge should be separated by the kitchen unit wall and both their insulated skins.

A hob is best positioned against an inside wall with splash back surface for heat and hygiene reasons.

Having a oven door opening against anything with a decorative facing is a no, no in my opinion. It's amazing how much heat emanates from the oven when the door opens, so it will mark other surfaces with scorch and grease stains.

A kitchen should have cooking and washing up facilities at right angles with each other for convenient working and hassle free transfer of dishes and pots. The wet areas should all be together for convenience of plumbing and drainage. The cooking areas should all be together for convenience of ventilation and wiring or plumbing of their services.
We were told to remember the triangle form when we designed our kitchen. The points of the triangle are made up from the storage area (fridge, larder etc.), the wet area (sink, washing machine, dishwasher, etc.) and the cooking area (speaks for itself really), with the straight lines between them being worktop surface for serving up and food preparation areas with all the knifes and mixing appliances etc.
When the kitchen is laid out in this type of configuration, it's then easy to find out where the most power sockets are needed and where all the plumbing needs to go, and then you can get it all this work done before you start to fit the units.
Good luck with, and can we get some pictures when it's finished ?
spamguard@_spam_guard.com (BigWallop) wrote:

Surely, and thanks for the pointers. This would all be easy if it wasn't for that blasted window! I which I could blame someone else, but it's an extension we've just had built. Whoops!
Mark W.
(BigWallop) wrote:

So if you start with the sink at the windows what happens ?

If we're going to stick with a high level built in oven, we have 2 options against an outside wall (one near the sink, the other right alongside a window. My wife doesn't want the hob near the sink.
The only other thing we could do is to locate the oven somewhere else and put the hob against the inside wall. I'm not keen on this idea due to the look of that layout and the need to duct the hob extractor.
Mark W.

And would it be possible to site the hob next to the built in oven unit ?
Does the extractor need to be ducted, or is it a charcoal filtered type ?
What sort of wall units are you fitting ? Would the wall units be OK to sit the pipework on top of, from the extractor ?
spamguard@_spam_guard.com (BigWallop) wrote:

Not really. One way would be in a fairly inaccessible corner, the other would give us nowhere reasonable to put our larder fridge.

Ducted.
Yes, the cornice could hide the ducting if absolutely necessary.
Mark W.

would think.

incompetant. One position a dishwasher under a sink, that's simply impossible, it won't fit.
Decide the best arrangement of appliances, worksurface, etc. yourself (only you know how you work and what you do most) and then see which kitchen units etc. can get closest to your ideal.

wrong to me. Postion them to make it easy for them to be used. If you can also make installation easy as well then so be it but user requirements are more important than ease of installation.

compared with everything else.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I assume you mean he put the dishwasher under the bowl of the sink itself? Not so good. You can put a dishwasher under the draining board side of sink and use the space under the bowl as a normal cupboard. Handy for all the water and waste plumbing.
-Duncan
duncan-at-snsys-dot-com (Duncan Lees) wrote:

I was also told that a dishwasher would go under the draining side of a 1.5 bowl sink. Is this right?
Mark W.

We have the double drainer with one and a half sinks, the washing machine is on one side and the dishwasher on the other. There's a single 800mm wide base unit between them which I made myself. It holds all the washing powders and things and is right next to both appliance. It made the plumbing and wiring a lot easier to install as well.
Mark Webb wrote:

I'm not sure about the bowl capacity. You'd probably have to measure up the sink wou want to use to make sure it all fits. I figured it would be possible measuring the sink in my current house, and happened to see the setup in Homebase when I was looking round. There were two 600mm wide units, one housed the bowl and was a normal cupboard. The other was the front to the dishwasher. I plan to do the same, but with a slim line model.
-Duncan
Duncan Lees <duncan-at-snsys-dot-com> wrote:

sense from the point of view of using it as well of course. You can empty dregs etc. in the sink which, if nothing else, is usually less messy than dribbling them into the dishwasher.

wow, that's pretty incompetent for a so-called designer... what height was the worktop at - normal height plus 30 cm??!!!
I butchered the cabinet under the sink so that our (slim width) dishwasher would fit underneath the drainer. As far as practicality goes we're finding it an ideal position. As you say, emptying dregs and rinsing off debris is easy.
From the kitchen designers that I've had dealings with, they appear to be people who don't cook an awful lot. The old "work triangle" design with sink, fridge and hob at each apex is an efficient kitchen (but I realise this just isn't practical in many kitches - especially galley style ones). You really need some worktop space at both sides of the hob, worktop space on the non-drainer side of the sink and at least some other contiguous worktop space for preparation.
With suitable insulation between them I wouldn't see oven and fridge together as such a problem with modern appliances.
I'd really not want a hob flush against any tall unit - for safety I'd want to be able to remove a pan quickly from the hob in either direction.
But then, I'm fussy about these things....
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

expensive.
layout and built an (expensive) fitted kitchen around it. There was no input from them from the usability point of view and, if they couldn't understand what we wanted or their units couldn't do it, they just didn't bother.
In the end we spent a *long* time with bits of squared paper scribbling and throwing away ideas. Our problem is that we have a large kitchen but with two access points, an ordinary doorway on one long side and a wide archway into the adjacent breakfast room on the other long side. Thus the useful workspace is in two L shaped parts.
The original infelicity of the kitchen as we found it was that the dishwasher was tight in the corner of one of the Ls and thus, when it was open made that corner and the adjacent cupboard completely inaccessible. Moving the dishwasher to the end of the L, still adjacent to the sink was the fundamental 'right move' but it meant a lot of thinking about all the rest of the layout. Given the size of the kitchen we were able to fit a full double bowl sink in as well which is lovely compared with the old 1.5 bowl one, I never really saw any use for the 'half' bowl.

with as you say, space for pans either side and that was quite difficult.

people don't. The long time we spent (several months of elapsed time) in thinking about our kitchen has really paid off. It's now a real pleasure to work in as just about everything is in the right place and we managed to get appliances that are good functionally too.

Mark Webb wrote:

Do you mean oven? Advice I've read in a kitchen design book said not to put the fridge next to the oven. But a free standing fridge should be better than a built in one. So it might be okay, but I'd leave a reasonable gap IIWY. You'll just make your fridge less efficient the closer you have it.

Again, I'd leave a reasonable gap. Say 200mm+, if only for aesthetics.

Maybe a bit more. 300mm?

Same here. I've spent along time planning and designing my own kitchen. I'll probably go along to a kitchen designer anyway (MFI or where ever) just to see if they have any good idvice I've not thought of.
-Duncan

I used the MFI design service and found it very good. I sat with the designer for a good two hours whilst we tried different configurations and ideas on the computer. There was no element of them trying to push something that I didn't want, but occasional useful suggestions of what might work in the particular circumstances to solve problems that came up. He even worked out how to get together a Belfast sink unit and door, despite these not being officially available in the range I was buying.
Christian.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk (Christian McArdle) wrote:

I suppose a lot comes down to the individual in question. We used MFI last time and the (design) experience wasn't very pleasant in my opinion. He was clearly playing the "how many things can I stuff in" game.
Mark W.

Due to the fall of cabinets for the hood, I'd need to allow less than half that if we put the hob where my wife want (near the proposed oven), rather than near the sink.

Once again, if I have to leave more than about 150 I've no room for the fridge.

Tried this with B&Q. They but the hob near the sink, the built in oven next to the free standing fridge, with the oven separated from the near (round the corner) cabinet door by a 6" wine rack insert.
Mark W.
Mark Webb wrote:

You don't want to be putting a wine rack next to an oven. Not if you want to put good wine in it anyhow. :)
-Duncan