Cheapest way of making a shower unit? Urgent!

The message from "Jonathan" contains these words:

Your cheapest option would be just to replace the bath with another cheap plastic one.

Reply to
Roger

Or ask if the method of breaking the bath is covered by home insurance.

And if a nasty old colour can't be matched, there might be a cheapy new suite out of the settlement.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Check Primrose Bathrooms on 0845 1300565 - they often sell stuff on ebay.

I got a 900mm quadrant shower enclosure with 6mm safety glass and decent quality brushed ali frame for 99 quid! Tray was 50 and delivery 46 - so under 150 all in. It was to do an aunts (of SWMBO) bathroom. She was originally proposing to pay 650 for very nearly the same thing from her local builders merchant!

Reply to
John Rumm

No that's Duck tape. You can go to the moon and back on that, even the sun as long as you go at night.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You should perhaps also consider the effect on the value of your house, if you were to replace the bath with a shower cubicle. When I had to sell a house recently, I was surprised how many people were seriously discouraged because I'd had to make this change. I'm sure it depends, among other factors, on the house type and area, so YMMV, but it might be worth pausing to think.

Our local free ads paper usually has several adverts from people desperately trying to get rid of baths - or try a "wanted" on your local Freecycle.

Reply to
Autolycus

Two names for the same stuff methinks.

Reply to
Dave

In message , Jonathan writes

This may not help you but, I have a *free to good home* bath with shower standing area. Acrylic/glass fibre probably primrose. Installed 20 years ago and then never used. At present cluttering up my workshop in central Herts.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Will look into that - decided to bodge with fibreglass until weekend.

Is tiling supposed to be very tricky? I keep hearing this thing about people who can't tile, or how tricky tiling is. While I'll admit my DIY skills are almost non-existant, when it came to doing a few rows of tiles, I bought the tiles, cleaned the wall, divided depth and width by number of tiles needed, scraped the adhesive about, drew a line with a spirit level, laid the tiles with the spacers, grouted the next day and they were fine. HOWEVER, this was on a good flat wall - I guess trickiness comes in with an uneven surface.

Again, thanks for all suggestions. If you're unlucky, I might take a pic of whatever I go with, when it's done, so you can all point and laugh...

Reply to
Jonathan