CH Flow and Return Reversed-Problem?

Hi all

Just had an upgrade to the CH and found that the wallys have reversed the flow and return to the downstairs rads. That is the hot water flows from the lockshield end to the TRV end of each rad. The only downside that I can see to this is that any sludge build up (which has been sitting happily out of harms way not bothering anyone), may be dislodged by the reverse flow and cause blockages. The system was hit with Sentinel X400 twice by yours truly before the re-work, but some areas were still noticably clogged.

I believe that the TRVs can work in either direction, mostly Draytons and a couple of Danfoss.

So, any good reasons to insist on the re-piping would be appreciated!!! Doesn't look like a huge exercise but will involve drain down and re-fill with inhibitor.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Some TRVs get a bit noisy when the water flow is the "wrong" way, and clunk when the valves operate. If they are designed with no particular flow direction required then I guess this shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
mark_yh

If the TV are truly bi-directional then there is no problem. Sludge should have been thoroughly removed as part of the upgrade.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Older Drayton's were one way only, they changed iirc about 3 or 4 years ago to bi-directional. There should be an arrow marking on the valve body.

Reply to
Matt