Flow and Return pipes

Would mixing up the flow and return pipes to a boiler cause any damage or
wear and tear to it? Mine has been running for nine months and the boiler
engineer has noticed this, as the boiler was making a bit of a strange
noise.
Regards
SantaUK
Reply to
SantaUK
The boiler thermostat is usually located close to (what is supposed to be) the outlet. If you are using this as the inlet, the stat will be sensing cooler incoming water. By the time it shuts the boiler down, some of the water may well be literally boiling - which may account for the 'strange' noise. I don't know whether it's done any damage - but it ain't going to have done a lot of good!
Reply to
Roger Mills
The OP may have simply meant that the water is now flowing in the reverse direction through the radiators, in which case the only issue might be with the TRVs.
If the op meant that the flow is now reversed in the boiler this is seriously wrong and no good things will happen. Reverse the pump; now.
Reply to
Ed Sirett
I take it we are talking about a boiler with an external pump rather than a system or combi boiler with an internal one?
Reply to
John Rumm
Yes, two pumps on the system, one for HW and one for CH
>> Would mixing up the flow and return pipes to a boiler cause any damage or >> wear and tear to it? Mine has been running for nine months and the >> boiler engineer has noticed this, as the boiler was making a bit of a >> strange noise. > > I take it we are talking about a boiler with an external pump rather than > a system or combi boiler with an internal one? > > -- > Cheers, > > John. > > /=================================================================\ > | Internode Ltd -
| > |-----------------------------------------------------------------| > | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk | > \=================================================================/
Reply to
SantaUK
The control system is also prehistoric and needs upgrading aswell. If this system was installed after 1/IV/5 it will also be contrary to building regs.
Reply to
Ed Sirett
March this year, new Bellway house. Its in Scotland if that makes a difference. Its part of a thermal store system, Ideal boiler. Can you elaborate on the building regs contravention for me.
Reply to
SantaUK
There may be some difference between north and south?
Without knowing exactly what you have I can't really say. Generally two pumps is not right but it might just be for you.
Reply to
Ed Sirett
I'm not aware that the building regs explicitly forbid the use of 2 pumps. What they *do* say is that there must be a boiler interlock - but you can implement that on a 2-pump system with a bit of relay logic. Admittedly, by-pass arrangements - if needed - start to get a bit complicated.
Reply to
Roger Mills
Plumber coming out on Wednesday to fix the issue. I am still wondering if this could have caused any long term damage. Would this have shortened the lifespan of the boiler at all?
Reply to
SantaUK

Site Timeline Threads