Ceiling lighting regulation - must have?

Dear uk. d-i-y group,

I'm trying not to have to put lights in my new ceilings (4 new rooms in the loft). Do the building/electrical regs require ceiling mounted lights, or can I have just wall mounted lighting - i.e. a dome light? This will make the wiring from the switch to the light a piece of cake as the stud work is half open.

Thanks,

Ren.

Reply to
Ren

On 11 Apr 2007 10:14:53 -0700, "Ren" mused:

Ceiling mounted lights aren't required.

Reply to
Lurch

No such rule. You can have wall lights if you wish.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Indeed.

You may be hit by the Part L requirement that a certain number of rooms in the house must be lit using lights of 40 lumens/watt efficiency or better (basically means using fluorescents in fittings which can't take filament lamps). Application of this rule by BCO's doesn't seem very consistent.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, they seemed to get by without it in tonight's Grand Designs (the Art Deco wedding cake) - unless LED lights comply with Part L.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Floor lights can be nice

Reply to
zaax

Mr Pilot did say that 50% of the fittings all over the house were low energy. Admittedly that could be considered complying with the letter of the law and not the spirit, given how many they used ;-).

Although I am not an art deco fan, that one was not too bad IMHO. I wonder how much that kitchen cost?

(I noticed that Naomi woman was doing her best to be a complete bitch about it later in the TS program!)

Reply to
John Rumm