ceiling fans

Another question !! I currently have a main light right in the centre of the living room ceiling (pretty standard stuff) but would like to replace this with a ceiling fan. I have seen some decent ones in B&Q for about 100, with remote control operation. Now, my question is, how is best to wire this in ?? I am happy to lose the ceiling light - and as a result wire into that.
However, this will leave me with a normal light switch on the wall. As the fan is remote controlled, and there therefore wont be a dial on the wall in the place of the light switch fro controlling it, am I best leaving the light switch in place and using it as a form of isolation (rathan than relying on the inbuilt 'off' setting) to turn it off. Or am I best replacing this light switch with a blank plate and wiring up the inards so that they're 'always' on ?? (can otherwise be isolated from the main fuse board not far away).
Any other ideas / suggestions for approaching this ?

I'd probably just keep it and use it as a separate switch - saves you from having to find the remote to turn the light on everytime you walk in the room. We've got ours (without remote) done like this - switch turns it (normally the light only) on and off, and we use the pull thingys for the fan on-off. Must admit though - having a remote to do this would be nice - though I'd still like the ability to turn (something) on and off when I walk in the room.
but thats half the point of fitting a ceilign fan - we never use the ceiling light and so I will be buying a fan without one.

NC wrote:

your ceiling rose will likely have a neutral, a permanent live and a switched live. Why not connect your fan between neutral and permanent live. What you do with the switch is up to you. On my manually switched fans, i run a wire throught the central mounting tube to the light below to give normal light switching and independent fan power from the loop through live.