Cedar treatment desperation

I have cedar cladding on part of my house It has previously been treated with ronseal products and varnish which have in places flaked off what can I do with it now Should I try to strip it back to bare wood and start again if so just using a sander or something a bit more stronger After that should I just use oil on it Linseed oil or something else?

Reply to
MartinB

Hi My parents had a cedar-wood bungalow that had been treated with many different stains and varnishes over the years. Eventually they stripped it all back to bare wood (hell of a job!) - and used a Sikkens product - which did a great job, and only needed re-doing every 5 years or so.

The hard work is in the stripping back to bare wood!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'd imagine any varnish would have a problem sticking to an oily wood like cedar?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's cedar - was there a reason to treat it at all? was it just for colour? Cedar is normally rated for long life untreated.

Reply to
Tim Watts

HI Tim

I couldn't say - it was while ago and my folks aren't around any more to ask them....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

What Sikkens product? I have some cedar cladding too.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

=A0 London SW

Anyone remember creosote an bob a job week,,, we used to slapp that stuff all over everything... I don't rate it much nowadays,, they seem to have pulled its teeth..

I like the idea of an oily based preservative,, to kill off the green algae an rejuvenate the ceder wood.. But my experience with sheds an suchlike does not stretch to Ceder cladding..

I tried a few expensive ones on my reclaimed timber shed and other things but was dissapointed as mostly it seemed to flake off again.. And wood can rot under flakey surface coats,, where a soak-in oily coat is more easily retreated..

How about a silicone treatment.. To soak into the cedar an shuck off the wet.. Anyone tried that,,?

Rupert Bear

Sounds a bit ugly.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Hi Gib

All I can remember is that it was a clear preservative, very thin (water-like) that was brushed onto the cedar after the aformentioned scraping, sanding and cursing. ISTR it took two coats, and seemed to soak right into the wood.

It was recommended by the local builders' merchant - wasn't cheap - but was way better than anything else that they'd used, and (sadly) saw them both out.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks Adrian.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Many thanks for all your posts looks like i will have a summer sanding I think I might get away with doing it in stages some areas worse than others Then will just settle for the oil Many thanks again

Reply to
MartinB