Caustic Soda

Page 5 of 6

Hardly a concentrated solution.

Yuk, what's wrong with glass bottles?

One more point, NaOH solution is very good at "creeping" out of containers. Don't store it in liquid form unless it is in a securely closed container
--
geoff

Tell me about it. I bought a couple of bottles of Screwfix drain cleaning solution. Put them on my shelf in the garage until I needed them. Fortunately a couple of weeks later I had a need to go routing thru the shelf contents - and found that this drain cleaner was seeping out of the sealed plastic bottles.
Immediately cleaned our drains so as to get rid of it, although the drains didn't need cleaning.
PoP

Interstingly enough, in an attempt to clear a blocked drain a while back, I bought a plastic tub of caustic mixed with flakes of aluminium foil out of my local hardware shoppe...
It didn't work and I ended up hiring a long flexable turny thing to grind out several years worth of massage oils and a dead frog from the pipe...
Gordon

What a way for the frog to go.

If you use a wooden spoon you shouldn't use it for anything else afterwards.

Aluminium is actually a highly reactive element. It dosn't usually look that way since it will usually become quickly covered in aluminium oxide. Without this protective oxide barrier aluminium will react with quite a lot of things, including water.
Worst case senario is that the metal will catch fire!

Trying to store it in a plastic bottle is more likely to result in a caustic gooey mess. Which is going to be a lot harder to clean up than a pile of dust.

I like you, Mark Evans.
Mary

Thanks for the advice. I never imagined it could cause so much controversy !!! I will take on board the useful advice given here and give it a try as I believe that, armed with knowledge and a little common sense, anything is achievable.
Thanks to those who gave advice. Thanks for nothing to the rest of you.

over
only
Martin Robbins wrote:

On the local news this evening - a tanker carrying caustic soda has crashed on the A1 near Wetherby. The road is now closed and will have to be resurfaced. Does this answer some of the previous trivial messages underestimating dangers of this material?
Terry D.

No
so, it reacts with tar ...
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

As indeed does freezing water in the cracks.
DANGER ICE LOLLIES LETHAL SAYS MARTIN ROBBINS ECO WARRIOR EXTRORDINAIRE.
writes

er.. that'll be TERRY D ECO WARRIOR EXTRODINAIRE I think? No?
Terry D wrote:

No. A tanker load of just about anything would do the same. Petrol catchhingv fire Liquid nitrogen cracking the road. Even milk turning into cgeese would not be good news.
Learn some chemistry or bugger off.

A while back a crashing petrol tanker in Birmingham caused some very major damage.

If anything burning petrol is likely to be the most damaging.
It's not as if it can be washed away by the fire brigade.

crashed
The main problem with milk spills, from a fire brigade viewpoint, is that they can't just be hosed away. A large volume of milk entering a waterway will de-oxygenate it and kill all the fish.

An equal sized diesel spill will do more damage to the road. Petrol, burning or not, tends to evaporate while diesel just sits there dissolving the tarmac.
Colin Bignell

crashed
You live near Wetherby?
Mary Leeds

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:34:56 -0000, "Terry D"

That was careless.

<shrug>
Would've resulted in the closure/resurfacing of the carriageway if 40 tonnes of heating fuel had spilt instead.
--

Dave

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:34:56 -0000, "Terry D"

Could be worse
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid 7&ncidu7&e&u=/nm/20031029/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_germany_hearse>
When melting (not dissolving) a fish-kettle full of potassium nitrate over a stove, is it safer to use the bluing salts alone, or to make a eutectic mixture with caustic soda and lower the melting point ?
One is a large pan full of a very hot oxidiser (don't stir it with a stick !), the other is a pan full of less hot, but more corrosive, salt.
Gun-bluing steel BTW, not mixing it with sugar.
Andy Dingley wrote:

You're one brave guy! I'd personally leave it neat - melting point is what, 300C ish? Not too bad.
If I'm not wrong, the boiling point is going to be not a million miles off the melting point, so you're gonna have to be careful that it doesn't start boiling before it's all melted.

Is that how it's done - I've often wondered, but never googled.
--
Grunff