Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

I like people like you to lose money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Was it you or TGB that posted a list of what sells a house? It was very interesting.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , David writes

Ah! Thank you!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

It was timegoesby John, I'm surprised you forgot he's your most ardent supporter

Reply to
David

Bertie, amongst others he is. And again, who was it? As I can't be bothered Googling. You say TGB. Any advances?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes, although it is dampened very slightly

Yes. It sounds like wood.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Keep it simple. Neat clean and tidy. Crown ivory cream walls, white woodwork, beige or brown carpets. Simple maple shaker kitchen, oven, hob, extractor, washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge/freezer. Green marbly worktops, white tiles with green border tiles.

Bathroom with white suite, trendy taps, thermostatic shower, white tiling, blue border tiles.

Combi C/H, programmable thermostat.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You're no longer an estate agent then ? My mistake.

As far as decorations and carpets go, there wasn't a single room in my current house that I (or my wife) liked when we saw it. In fact, we actively disliked most of them. But these are transitory aspects of a house. You may well be right about the average intelligence and/or taste of the average buyer, but to be honest I hope I am (or will be) selling my property to people who are somewhat above-average in both respects.

Nice of you to know what I think. Tell me, the blue tie or the red one ?

Except I only see my taste in decoration as a problem to the clueless, about whom I care little.

Maybe the point is being missed, or misinterpreted. I see no reason to change any existing decoration where that decoration is not in need of replacement. If it is tatty, I would tend to the inoffensive when choosing new, but only if I was about to sell up, imminently. Maybe :-)

Reply to
John Laird

I'd say it's a lot more work to take up and relay floorboards as opposed to just laying laminate. For a start, you have to cut them where they disappear under the wall and then arrange support for the cut ends...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Much better than carpets if you have young kids, especially for cleaning up after mealtimes. And the toy cars go a *lot* faster on laminate;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well, I'd go for the one that hadn't been touched, assuming the price was right.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That would be true for studwork walls, yes.

But not a problem if the walls were blockwork. I concede that it would still be a bit more work, but if the floorboards were half decent, then I'd rather see them than laminate - better wearing, less noisy, warmer. And still cheaper to do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It's also true for my blockwork walls, the floorboards go under them, at least upstairs they do, downstairs is concrete.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Live and learn... Last breezeblock walls I saw were supported on a bearer running perpendicular to and on top of the joists. Seems odd to lay the blocks on floorboards, but there you go.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Especially when daddy steps on one and goes arse over elbow :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There's still a bearer, but it's on top of the floorboards. I assumed it was only there to nail the skirting to.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You and me both, but we're uk.d-i-y'ers, who are not yer average buyers.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I go for "Leyland Apricot White", aka cream!) and don't use border tiles; other than that I could have written the above list myself!

Actually I would have omitted washer and dishwasher; don't believe in putting those unless it's for a fully furnished property, which isn't me.

David

David

Reply to
Lobster

You are the real Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and I claim my £5

-
Reply to
Mark

LOL. Except I *have* taste.